113(Black)YTS or Grouper Special?

Started by George4741, September 16, 2012, 07:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Quote from: George4741 on January 21, 2013, 01:47:07 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on January 09, 2013, 07:45:53 AM

Did you know that the actual 113 ratio is 1.883 not 2.0 & the L B ratio is2.285 ?  Thats a gain of .402. I don't think any more can be done as there is not enough main gear clearance.

That isn't true in my 113.  The main gear has 32 teeth and the pinion has 16.  This makes mine a true 1:2.0 ratio.
Hi George, I changed the ratio in 4 of my 113's & they all had 17 teeth on the pinions & 32 on the main gear. I don't know whats going on but I marked the gears where I started so I wouldn't recount where I started & I still get 17.   Rudy

SeaDawg

Quote from: George4741 on January 12, 2013, 04:04:22 AM
I hope no one minds that I added "Grouper Special" to the title of this thread.  Anyway, I believe Seadawg is the first one to call it a Grouper Special and Ron is using the moniker, as well.

BTW Seadawg, are you the same Seadawg who is selling one on BD?  If I may ask, did it come up short in the fishing department, or are you just moving on to something bigger and better?George

Hey George, I like that you added "Grouper Special" to your thread! And yes, I am selling a "Grouper Special" on BloodyDecks & have the same reel listed on eBay.

No, the reel did not come up short, I love it! The one I posted pictures of here is in my reel bag and thats right where it's staying :) I had the parts so I actually built 2. I am selling the 2nd "Grouper Special".

I am retired, I travel extensively in my RV, and I fish. Went 30 miles in a 14 foot Carolina Skiff named "THUD" yesterday to the Marquesas Key - south of Key West. I have been doing this for almost 3 years with no plans to stop anytime soon :) I have a great wife :)

Anyway, I also buy and rebuild old Penn reels and have been lurking on this site for some time. You guys are freakin awesome!!! I mentioned in my eBay ad that I borrowed the "Grouper Special" design from an "associate on another website" :)

I bought 53 Penn conventional reels from a guy for $600 while traveling through New York/Conn this summer, from a 9/0 to a 77...................he had been yard saleing them for a few years but had just bought his first house :) I tore every one of them down, cleaned out 30-40 years of gunk, repaired what needed repairing, relubed them and sold them all. Except a few that were too far gone, they went into my parts inventory.

Anyhow, when I am up at 5am, not fishing and no reels to work on, I read this site. I have learned SO much here, thank you all very much! I make a little money selling reels, but it all goes right back into some more reels or my next fishing adventure, or my own fishing gear.............

Grouper fishing is closed here (Florida) right now, but when it opens I can hardly wait to get out there with my "Grouper Special" and see what kinds of questions I get from others on the boat! But more importantly, I want to feel that Grouper pulling back against my reel especially built just for him :)

Tight lines George!!
God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

SeaDawg

Quote from: RowdyW on January 12, 2013, 11:23:19 AM
Quote from: noyb72 on January 12, 2013, 02:24:42 AM
OK,

Who's selling a Grouper special on EBay?

Ron
Hey anybody know Harry in Winter Haven, Fl.? He says he copied from an associate on another website. It doesn't have the complete set up though.

That's me, but now it's Harry in Key West, Florida :) Next month it will be Harry in Destin, Florida :)
God created the fishing pole to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world...........

DISCLAIMER: All information posted by me anywhere on the internet is purely for entertainment purposes. Information in my postings cannot be relied upon as, nor considered, factual. Thank you.

George4741

Quote from: RowdyW on January 21, 2013, 05:20:40 AM
Hi George, I changed the ratio in 4 of my 113's & they all had 17 teeth on the pinions & 32 on the main gear. I don't know whats going on but I marked the gears where I started so I wouldn't recount where I started & I still get 17.   Rudy

Rudy,
I'm not doubting that you can count. ;) ;D  I triple counted mine to be sure of the number of teeth.  Probably a change Penn made to the gears at some point.  Just another thing to puzzle and frustrate us. :o  That there is a slightly larger pinion gear is a good thing to know.  It might fit into another project I've been mulling over....

Harry,
I'm glad you like your reel and I hope to hear back on some fishing reports with it soon.  It sounds like you are living the dream.  Traveling, fishing, supportive wife, etc.  Nice! 

Some day....
George   

viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

New one on me ???

Rudy, you probably ment to say 16 teeth.

can you post a picture of that pinion? The only pinionI know of that would slow down that 5-66 is the 13-349.
I know that's not what you're talking about, it will never work in the 113, well we probably could do it , but that's another project.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Hi Sal, I pulled these gears out of the parts box again & 1 has 17 teeth & 3 have 16 teeth. I got these 4  113's from a head boat that replaced these reels. These reels where really old,beat up, & broken. The outside appearance of these reels is really beat up looking but I repaired,replaced broken parts,new drags, serviced all 4 ,& regeared all of them. I rechecked the old pinion gears & 3 have 16 teeth & 1 has 17 teeth. I don't know how that one worked because 3 out of 4 wouldn't even turn when I got them. They are all 100% mechanicley perfect now with 66 gearing. Other than the beat up chrome on the rings they look pretty good now. Not show pieces but 100% sea & fish worthy. I can't post photos because I don't have the equipment & barely know how to use this computer. :-\    Rudy

Alto Mare

I hear what you're saying, Rudy, still odd to me. As you already know, using the same main gear on meshing gears, when  increasing the ratio the pinion circumference decreases, when lower the ratio the pinion circumference increases.
Are the bridge plates the same?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

No Sal, in a previous post I said I used a 3-66 bridge, 12-60 yoke, & 13-49 pinion. The main gear is the same on a 113 & 66. The bridge makes up the distance for the slightly differant diameter of the pinion [approx. .025] & the yoke is needed for the smaller groove dia. of the 13-49 gear. I also said that the sleeve is slightly shifted off center & you might have to file the hole in the plate very slightly. It doesn't make a lot of differance but it does make some differance. I've got 4 113's, 2 w/3 disc drags & 2 w/5 disc drags & all w/66 gearing. These are going to be a destruction test within reason.    Rudy

Alto Mare

Sorry Rudy, I've used up  30% of my brain and my file can't hold anymore information ;D.
I give you a lot of credit on this one, the dimentions are so close that I wouldn't  have even tried it.
You're spot on with your dimentions, our calipers are synchronized ;), I hope I stop dropping mine. ;D.
I'll post a couple of shots of the bridges, so others get to see what you're talking about:

These should show the small difference with the gears offset.

Very good job Rudy! I'm getting lazy and don't feel like assembling one, did you put one together?
Let us know how it's doing.
Sal

RowdyW

Sal, I have 5 together,one in an Accurate wide frame w/68 spool, one in a Tiburon standard width new style topless frame w/113 aluminum spool, one in a Tiburon YTS old style frame w/66 spool, one in a standard stand & 113hl posts w/113 bronze spool & one in a 113hlw half frame w/68 spool & all chrome candy blue powder coated.     Rudy

RowdyW

By the way I forgot to say GREAT pictures. I don't know why my lettering turned red. ??? ??? ???

Back in black!

Alto Mare

I'll tell you why, it's because those are some hot reels that's why. ;)
If you can email me the pictures of those babies, I'll post them for you.

RowdyW

George4741

Quote from: RowdyW on January 21, 2013, 08:02:35 PM

I pulled these gears out of the parts box again & 1 has 17 teeth & 3 have 16 teeth.

Does anyone know what reel would have a 17 tooth pinion gear?  I need one for a project I've been mulling over.
viurem lliures o morirem

john2244

Hello George,

I checked several pinions and found a couple that have 17 teeth.  I had them zipped tied to a 5-60 main gear.  IF  I am reading this correctly there seems to be at least 2 pinions that work with a 5-60 main gear.  Pinion 13-85 and 13-200.   Sorry I can't tell you for sure what reel these came from.  If you want a set of gears with the 17 tooth pinion let me know.  Today if possible and I will have my wife mail them out tomorrow.  Also, send me a PM with your mailing address.

John