4/0 Senator

Started by spes, September 16, 2012, 02:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I would drill it out and stake in a piece of steel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

john2244

I have an old side plate I can send you.  Send me a message with your address.
John

spes

A round of applause people for John!
He is going to hook me up with a side plate.
What a great community we have here!
I thank you John.

On to next question!
Does the right side bearing have a retaining ring or just a pressed in shield.
I do have a bearing packer, but would still like to open it up.

Thanks again!

Cone

the bearing is in a cup. You can pry or pull it out of the cup. Sometimes this can be a little tough if its corroded. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

spes

Yeah i got it out of the cup,, I just wanted to open up the bearing itself...  need new eyeballs

Cone

The ones I've done it has a fine wire retaining the shield. I used a fishhook to remove them. don't let em get away or they will be lost.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

john2244

Michael,

I shipped your side plate today and included a chrome spool that is in better condition than the one you have.  Either use it or keep it as a spare.  Parts should be there Wed. or Thurs.
John

spes

Thank you again John,,
Very nice of you to do that.

redsetta

What goes around, comes around ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

spes

Got the right side bearing out,, it's toast.

Was searching the dimensions for it here and found:

Quote from: Irish Jigger on February 22, 2012, 01:15:28 AM
And another,
Penn 113H, Spool bearings, 0.1250 x 0.3750 x 0.1562 inch-2 reqd.

Is the right side bearing the same as the Left??

Irish Jigger

spes

Yes just ordered a set from smoothdrag...

The sideplate and spool came today John,, thanks again!
Look nice,,,

spes

Alrighty,,, just recieved the new bearings and drag washers for this reel. I wanted to ask a few more questions before putting it all together,,,

Ok, so concencus is to yammy grease bearings as opposed to oiling and leave them closed,,,  correct?

And when applying cal drag grease to drag washers,, should it be applied and buffed or globbed on? (this one always confuses me,because I have seen tutorials describing both methods.)

Thanks,
Mike

Cone

Greased bearings will hold up better against saltwater etc. They are fine if you are using the reel for trolling or dropping a bait where you do not need freespool. If you are casting the reel then you are better off with a lube like corrosion x or tsi301. You may also want to install them open. You don't need a lot of Cal's if you glob it on it will squeeze out as the drags seat so either way is ok. Bob

spes

Hello,
I forgot to post a shot of the finished reel.
I can't wait to crank on a fish with this new handle!

Now I was hoping someone could tell me how much backing I will need on this.
I will be loading 100 yards of 40# monel trolling line with 30yds of 50# mono leader.
I have a spool of 30# dacron for my backing.... anyone know how much of that is needed to fill the spool?

Tks,