4/0 Senator

Started by spes, September 16, 2012, 02:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

She's looking like she's ready for battle! Nice job, now go catch some fish ;)
John, you're a class act!
Dom

Alto Mare

X2, nice job on that reel, enjoy. By the way, don't toss that damaged plate, I believe it could be fixed with a little effort.

Dom, you're right about John, he helps many, including me.... He's a keeper ;)
Lots of good guys here.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Nice job, great looking reel. I like the handle. I wish I could help you on the line question but I've never used monel. :-[ good luck and post a pic of your catch. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

broadway

Spes,
    Sorry I missed your question on spooling that baby.  I'm a wire liner myself, and here's what ya wanna do. 
Dacron isn't expensive (compared to other lines) so pick up 2 different colored spools of hi-vis (yellow and orange) in 80lb. test.
You want to put on between 200' and 300' of yellow as the backing depending if your crew thumb spools the line/wire on... if not go with 200' so you don't bunch up the wire to the bars and are unable to reel any more.  Then do a haywire twist in the wire (make sure you break the wire cleanly so no sharp edges) and attach the backing with an albright special (snug tight!).  Put 75' of 40lb. monel on then haywire twist the end.  Now cut 4' of the orange dacron, attach one end to the wire you just put on the reel and the other end to the haywire twist you will make on the tag end of the next 75' you'll now put on.  When you finish that 75' you will do the same thing except alternate to the hi-vis yellow (same as your backing)... this way you can tell your crew to let the line out to the first orange, second yellow, etc.  Continue until you reach your desired amount- 300' of wire.  Lastly, though it's more expensive go with 20' of 60 lb. fluorocarbon (if using umbrella rigs go to 80lb) as a leader for many reasons but two are: the hook sets (minimal stretch) are better and when trolling slow the fish can see it, etc, etc.  Don't add more than that or you'll be sorry... not to mention after 300' the line starts rising due to the drag from water.  You would need a couple cinder blocks to negate the water drag with any more line out. Lastly, ALWAYS use a ball bearing swivel at the end with wire... ALWAYS!
PS- check connections about every ten trips.  I have had 2 slip in the past 3 years... one was a thresher >:(
Save me some stripers if that's what you're hunting ;)
Dom

spes

Tks Dom,
Yes I'm going for stripers.
I googled the hi vis dacron 80# and couldn't nail down one that met all the requirements,,
Hivis (yellow or orange )  I only found 20# in yellow or orange.
80# I only found White,black or spotted.

I'll have to check the big name store sometime I have a couple of hours to kill.
Tks again,
Mike

broadway

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: spes on October 02, 2012, 12:59:40 AM
A round of applause people for John!
He is going to hook me up with a side plate.
What a great community we have here!
I thank you John.

On to next question!
Does the right side bearing have a retaining ring or just a pressed in shield.
I do have a bearing packer, but would still like to open it up.

Thanks again!

x2, kudos for John.