4/0 Senator

Started by spes, September 16, 2012, 02:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spes

Hello,
 A friend gave me an old 4/0 Senator and a couple off 500 Jigmasters
Does anyone still have a 501 conversion kit for the Jigmaster?

Here's the 4/0

If you could spare me further searching,,, is this "short tutorial" the only one on the 4/0?
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.msg252#msg252

As you can see the spool was pretty corroded.

Soaked it overnight in SaltX and gave it a light touch with some sandpaper.

More to follow,,,,

Tks,

Bryan Young

Excited to see the full transformation.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Quote from: spes on September 16, 2012, 02:56:28 PM
If you could spare me further searching,,, is this "short tutorial" the only one on the 4/0?
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.msg252#msg252

Use that tutorial.  It's the best one.

BTW your spool cleaned up nicely.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

There is a 501/506 conversion kit from tiburon, but it's $80-90. I have more frames on order.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

spes

Going to order carbontex washers tomorrow,,
Alan,
Do you carry ss gear sleeves for this reel and the jigmaster500s?

$?

Tks,

alantani

Ron Jones

Alan,
Do the 113 and 113h use the same gear sleeve?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Hi Ron, the 113 and 113H gear sleeves are different.  I have put a 113 on the side for you.  Do you need a 113H as well?

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Well,
Their is a difference between want, need and can afford! I NEED the parts for my tuna special, I want stainless in everything in my box, which means 2 113s and a 113h, one for my brothers 113hlw would be nice to. As to what I can afford, we'll see. I did "not spend" all the money I thought I would on that Newell kit today.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

spes

Hello,
Is the left side bearing one piece? Or can I pry out a bearing to repack it with lube?

Don't want to start prying where I'm not supposed to  :o

Cone

The bearing will come out. Its under a retainer that needs to come out first.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

LTM

FYI,

In the picture of the bearing that your showing, your not looking at the actual bearing instead its the bb retainer which you need to pry-out which was previously mentioned.

Leo

spes

Got it out thanks..
finished up left side,,
started on the right side. Took the handle and the star drag off, and put the handle back on to see if there was play on the gear sleeve. There is. Not a huge amount but I do think it's more than acceptable.
If Scotts is $13 for a stock gear sleeve I might as well spend the little more for the Tani ss. I wont be fishing this reel hard but might as well go ss for a few dollars more.
Alan, do you have ss 98-320?

alantani

yes, got a bunch.  send a pm it you would like me to ship one out. 

spes

DOH!

Not really knowing what I was doing  :-[
I was breaking down the right side to get at the right side bearing.
And that's what I did, broke it  :'(
While trying to remove the eccentric jack the "ear?" that sticks up on the right side plate broke off!

Ok, what are my options here?
It broke off pretty clean, and I think it would go back in place with some 5 minute epoxy,,,,  how much of a load is that under?
I could just scream,,
wait I did scream..