Bearing Got Freezed (jammed) and Bearing stuck

Started by Marko, September 21, 2012, 03:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko

Dear Guys..

just identify problem with my low profile BC reel.

after a horrible day at casting with the reel, i decided to took it apart.. then i found that drive gear bearing (the big bearing on the BC low profile reel) is jammed. it wont spin even 1 mm. first i cleaned it with degreaser (yup.. it's bone dry.. forgot to give it a nice grease and the worst part.. i already remove both side cover) .. how idiot am I!

after 3 spray of degreaser.. it still jammed.. i suspect the salt particle ended up between the bearing and the lining and the races. and after some efforts of force turn the bearing.. i give up.. than i remembered that i have those TSI 301. oh well.. i just put small amount of TSI 301 in a bottle enough to drown the bearing and i leave them overnight. voila.. just light force and i make the bearing come alive again..

even it's now sound awful or "feel" abnormal, i decided to pack it with saltwater grade grease and put inside the reel. try few turns.. feels quite good. but i'm considering to change it to Boca Bearing for long term investment.

question : when a bearing jammed/freeze and re-worked again, is it still gonna works fine or it's broken and need new replacement asap?

another thing, after the main gear bearing solved, i moved to another bearing - which is the pinion bearing. and whaddya know.. it got stuck.. i cannot take it out from the reel body.. bloody hell.. this bearing cover also removed and heavily packed with grease... but it wont come out...

question : what is the best solution possible?

another issue that i found with my reels that the spool bearing was not tight fit.. the bearing can slide in the shaft.

question : spool shaft bearing sliding is good or no good?

for everyone that help to answer my question- many thanks- I really appreciate it.

Regards

Marko

Bryan Young

Hi Marko,

I have found that unless the bearing is frozen with varnish from the grease, once it's stuck, it is a bad bearing.  It will feel rough and should be replaced.

The bearing should slide on the spool shaft and snug, but it should slide.

Now to your stick bearing question, what kind of BC reel do you have?  I'm not sure where the bearing is stuck.  Can you take pics of the reel were the bearing is stuck and post it?

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marko

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 21, 2012, 04:06:45 PM
Hi Marko,

I have found that unless the bearing is frozen with varnish from the grease, once it's stuck, it is a bad bearing.  It will feel rough and should be replaced.

The bearing should slide on the spool shaft and snug, but it should slide.

Now to your stick bearing question, what kind of BC reel do you have?  I'm not sure where the bearing is stuck.  Can you take pics of the reel were the bearing is stuck and post it?

Bryan

Hi Bryan.. thanks for the answer.

the pinion bearing is on the same side of the handle ( i use left handle reel). it a small ( i havent measure it) bearing which put inside the body of the reel for the pinion bearing. i'll take some pictures tommorow or monday.

thanks

alantani

once a bearing is damaged in anyway, it almost always has to be replaced.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!