New Boca Bearings... Cals or Wets Lube???

Started by thunnus69, October 21, 2012, 01:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunnus69

Just ordered my new spool bearings from Boca for my Penn Int. 12LT and while I lubed every other bearing with Cal's grease, I am not sure which way to go with the Boca Spool Bearings.  I have wet synthetic oil as well as Cals.  Which one????? Please help.

Ron Jones

It really depends on your use of the reel. If you will cast with it (I don't have one of these reels, but I understand they are casters), then I recommend oiling the spool bearings. If you aren't casting, the grease provides better protection.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Lalo13

JGB

Here is a little insight on what I like to do and why.

I only use Cal's grease on the drag pressure plate bearing.
Reason - If it slings onto the drags it does not cause a problem.
Reason - Cal's will absorb water and hold moisture in the bearings as well as collect salt over repeated exposure.

I use Yamalube on the pinion bearing and handle bearings.
Reason - water proof and it is thick and causes slight drag and is a good high pressure lube.
Reason - Cal's absorbs water (slowly) and will eventually collect salt crystals. If you put grease in salt water and it changes color (usually milky) it is absorbing water. the test may take a day or two to show visible results.

I like to clean and open all spool bearings (for salt water) and oil with TSI 321.
Reason - Allows air circulation to reduce humidity.
Reason - Allows water to easily exit the bearing.
Reason - if salt crystals form in the bearing the crystal can be pushed out once they break free.
Note - You can use TSI 301 instead but TSI 321 is far less expensive per application.

For Freshwater high performance bait casters - I use TSI 321 on all bearings and bushings and leave the shield in place.
Reason - All current high performance bait casters use only oiled bearings (no grease).
Reason - Bait casters are often exposed to high levels of dust and the shield help keep the dust out of the bearings.
Note - if any bearings seem dirty replace them as they are probably damaged from dust intrusion. In general trying to clean them usually results in a reel that runs less than new.

Jim N.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Grayson Lanier

redsetta

From Bryan:
QuoteTSI301 is dissolved in a solvent, which also acts as a cleaning agent, and then, when it evaporates, leaves a micro thin film of TSI321.  The benefit is that if the part you are lubricating is not absolutely clean, but almost clean, it will clean the rest of the deposits.
Thread here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3573.0
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer