Problem with penn international 30 vsw

Started by domenico_m, October 31, 2012, 05:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domenico_m

Hi, i've bought today a penn 30 vsw. I have a problem with the crank because sometimes idles without turning the coil with wire. I disassembled the reel following the guide on this site and saw that the four discs that you can clearly see in the figure, are evil because they are mounted on the opposite side of the figure and the instructions in the box of the reel. do you think this may be due to the problem? is wrong as they are mounted in my reel?
thank you very much

domenico_m

I have a problem with the crank because sometimes idles without turning the coil with wire. I disassembled the reel following the guide on this site and saw that the four discs that you can clearly see in the figure, are evil because they are mounted on the opposite side of the figure and the instructions in the box of the reel. do you think this may be due to the problem? is wrong as they are mounted in my reel?
thank you very much

saltydog

The clutch springs should go where you have the arrows pointing in th ()() configuration and the two silver spool shims actually go on the opposite side of the spool,they are part number 154A and 154B,they go between the inner drive plate assembly and the opposite spool bearing.Alan just did a tutorial on how to do a 50 VSX and they are primarily the exact same,hope it helps.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

domenico_m

I thank you for the information. I saw the tutorial vsx 50 which seems to me to be more like my reel. the 4 rings that I think were in the wrong position instead are correct. Is that right?

But I still have the problem that the crank turns freely without turning the bobbin thread. I saw that I have this problem only with buzzer was added because if I take it off, turn all right.

a friend of mine has the same reel mine. but the clutch is controlled entirely different: his is very gradual, my clutch hand is almost nothing to the position number 3 and then becomes harder.
all this can depend from 4 rings that must be added to increase the clutch? I came out of the box an envelope with brief instructions to install 4 rings on the pinion. I post photos to explain in words what I say because it is not easy.

Finally, it is correct to say that you have to have 8 rings in total? () () ..:::  () ()

What can change if I mount two more rings that currently do not have?

thanks

in the photo i wrote 2 rings , but there are 4 rings and 4 rings

domenico_m

these are the 4 rings I was talking about. are mounted in this way: () ()

but I miss the two rings that are placed on the pinion and I inside a bag with instructions

Dominick

Domenico:  That reel comes with 8 bellville washers because the washers are for light duty and heavy duty.  You only use 4 at a time.  The 4 bellvilles go in the right side plate as shown in your photograph.  It looks like they were not placed in the correct place when you took it apart.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

kamuwela

4 rings ()() go on short end of shaft. the thin washers are shims the schematic shows 2 required behind the drag washer.

domenico_m

the pictures I posted are taken by rail to remove the svx 50. in the guide you can see the 4 rings I'm talking about (which are the ones in the second photo) and you can see (maybe?) 4 other rings that are the ones to harden the clutch. I think in the reel that is in the guide there are 8 rings! 4 for 4 on the clutch and the sprocket (the rings in photo). is not it?

I disassembling the reel for the first time, I 4 rings as in the second photo (on the left side of the pinion).

domenico_m

here is a picture of the instructions of how to mount the 4-ring for the clutch more heavy. What should I do? the page with the parts list you can see the four rings that I have currently mounted on the reel.

these four, go add the other 4 for the clutch heavier?

domenico_m

I removed the 4 clutch springs and put the 4 heavy duty clutch springs. I also followed the guide step 5 carryover in photos, but I have a problem with the preset friction to a minimum and strike the lever, the clutch is locked. the clutch up to the number 3 is almost free, and after 3 stops quickly. What can I do?

Dominick

Domenico:  Are you using the shims?  If so try it without shims.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

domenico_m

0)where are shims? i only removed the 4 clutch springs and put the 4 heavy duty clutch springs

1) is normal with the clutch up to 3 kg if I enter the buzzer crank idling? but if I remove the buzzer the crank turns the coil?

2) the clutch is original with 4 rings is heavy with the 4 rings is strange: if i set the clutch on strike to 7kg up to "3" have maximum 2.5 kg of friction. 3 to strike the clutch hardens immediately.

3) if I enter the 4 heavy rings, with the preset minimum, the clutch on the strike is over 8 kg and can not decrease because the preset is zero

What can I check? the reel is new but bought away from my home town and I would not bother to send it 2 months.

saltydog

Four of the clutch springs are for light duty and the other four are for heavy duty.Match the springs to each other so that they are all the same you should have two sets of four.If you are going for the lighter duty drag settings use the thinner clutch springs like in the photo in the right side plate,if you are going to use the heavy settings then change them to the heavier clutch springs.You only use four at a time.Now for the two other rings they should be flat and are used to shim the spool if needed but most of the time they are not,try putting the reel together with the 4 hvy clutch springs (()) and leave the spool shims out,if that doesn't fix it try it with another and so on.
MacArthur

domenico_m

yes, i put only 4 springs at time. but i' ve the ploblems that i wrote in the previous message

saltydog

Just looking at the pic that you posted for putting in the clutch springs is for single speed reels like below.

on the spool,remember this is for a single speed

On the two speed they go against the right side plate bearing just as in Alans photo.
MacArthur