International 30T sleeve

Started by keyshunter, November 01, 2012, 08:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyshunter

I have been gradually been working through all of my reels 6-Penn SS. 1-113. 1-450 Sealine, 2-40gls and have finally gotten to my 6-International II's. Most of these  have not been opened since new. When I opened my 2 30T's (both built in '91), I noticed that neither has a spool sleeve --13B-30T on Scott's schematic. Can, or should I order and install these? I also noticed that all of the face plate screws (except for the quadrant) are the same length. The schematic says that the top center screws should be 38A, which is longer. Should I change these? I need to order screws anyway, since some of them were pretty well salted in, and although I got them out, the heads don't look very pretty. I opened one side of the spool bearings and plan to lube with Reel-X since both of these reels have had a "lazy" freespool since new. They are much slower than my 30-TW's, Is this a good idea?

kamuwela

all are good ideas, lubing the spool bearings wont hurt. if you are replacing screws then istall the right ones. what are you using the reel for? if you are casting then the sleeve will add free spool time as will the reel-x.

keyshunter

I use these reels for trolling, but both of these 30T's are reluctant to let line out on free spool unless I use a large bait or lure.

Will the above sleeve fit without alteration? I notice that there is a bit of a lump inside the spool where the line tie is fastened on.

saltydog

The sleeve should fit without alteration.One way to check is to look in the spool with the shaft in place to see how much room is around the shaft but there should be plenty.I'm in the process of rebuilding a 50 International now and there is alot of play for a sleeve even with the bump inside.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

kamuwela

if its just for trolling then id just grease the bearings and not even worry about having alot of free spool

john2244

On a stock Penn 30T if the drag setting at strike is too high it will reduce the amout of free spool of the reel. This is something you may want to check out.
John

kamuwela

john is right they all will do it. tighten the preset till you loose free spool then back off till you get your desired feel then check it with a scale.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: keyshunter on November 01, 2012, 08:23:20 PM
When I opened my 2 30T's (both built in '91), I noticed that neither has a spool sleeve --13B-30T on Scott's schematic.

Penn started installing those in their reels almost fifteen years later, in the mid-2000s. The schematic is a revised & updated version.

Dominick

Keyshunter:  I tried searching this site for a spool sleeve.  This is a great site with a lousy search feature.  You might be able to find the thread that Alan put up as a tutorial for making your own sleeve.  If you make your own sleeve, it will be more accurate than one machine made.  I made one for my 30.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Yep that's the one.  Thanks Alan.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

UKChris

We don't need no search feature - we've got an Alan!  ;D

Just missed out on a Penn 50 SW I can't afford 'cos it looked nice and probly needed new grease!