3:1 501

Started by Keta, November 01, 2012, 09:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Does anyone see the need for a low speed 501 size reel?  I put one together last night and am thinking Mackinaw jigging or inshore bottom fish.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Um, wouldn't that be a 110 Senator without chrome rings? I actually love the idea, I like slow retrieve fishing.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

Well I think it would be good for the striper fishing we do around here,live bait down between 20-70 feet.Those critters pull really hard all the way up,don't really need high speed cause they dig for the bottom the whole time.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on November 01, 2012, 09:30:40 PM
Um, wouldn't that be a 110 Senator without chrome rings? I actually love the idea, I like slow retrieve fishing.

Ron

Only a small differance in spool OD and wanting a 110 is what got me playing with the reels I had.  The right side for a 99 or 250 fit on a 501 frame and spool.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Huh,

I thought they were the same size.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

Mysticparts.com says they are the same. 29L-501, not available.

Ron

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

D'oh, you right.  I was assuming the 110 spool was a narrow 112H spool.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

That's funny, I made the same mistake a couple days ago on a different thread.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Mark Twain

bluefish69

This is good tomorrow I was going to ask Alan if he had SS Bridge Sleeves because I want to Newell-ize 5-1 gears. 2- Jig Master Jr & 1 Jig Master. I have the Bars, Spools & Reel Seats. 

I might put in 2 Red Spools for Sal
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Do you need 3 SS gear sleeves?  PM me with your and I'll get them out.

Alan is working the next several days and may not be able to get them out.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Quote from: Keta on November 01, 2012, 09:26:32 PM
Does anyone see the need for a low speed 501 size reel?  I put one together last night and am thinking Mackinaw jigging or inshore bottom fish.

Well, when I was bottom fishing off of San Nicholas Island last year, the deck crew told me to slow down, as I was reeling them in too fast.  I was using a 99 width jigmaster.  Based on that experience, I could get by with a 1:3 ratio and smaller -60 drags.  A 501 spool has enough line for that use.  Also, another member recently asked about the feasability of a slower 1:3 ratio jigmaster.

What I'm trying to say, in my own pathetic way ;) is.... yes, I think there may be a small group of old-schoolers who find it useful.  The low 1:2 gear ratio of my old 113 is one reason why I narrowed and beefed it up.  Although it has more line capacity than needed for some applications.

George

PS: as you say, all I need to do is replace the r/h plate with a -99 sideplate, which I already have.
viurem lliures o morirem

bluefish69

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 02, 2012, 01:56:32 AM
Do you need 3 SS gear sleeves?  PM me with your and I'll get them out.

Alan is working the next several days and may not be able to get them out.

Bryan

I want to check the threads & Star Number

Bryan Young

bluefish69 - The should all be fine threaded gear sleeves.  let me know.

Others for this posting -

Isn't there a narrow version of the Long Beach 259?  I have a Long Beach 259 with 2.8:1 gear ratio.  It's the same size as the 500 (but parts are not compatable).  I tried   :(

I know you guys have the answer....
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

I have to go looking for milk & thing tomorrow morning. There is nothing in local stores.

Then comes my fun - reels