Zombies are coming- you have to run and can only take 3 reels with you!!!

Started by Joel.B, November 04, 2012, 06:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

The gun forums are choked with these threads- "ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!, WHAT'S YOUR GUN?"

What would be the 1911, Remington 870, M1 Garand of reels?

If you can only have three reels, which three and why? 

I have not owned a whole bunch of reels like most of you probably have. Though I can always predict which guns would be mentioned in the Zombie/gun threads, no idea which reels have top reputations as proven rugged and reliable.

Killerbug

I would take the Kalashnikov of baitcasters with me, my red Amb 5500.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Ron Jones

A 4/0 tank, a open top 20 size caster (TLD, Sealine SHV add all) and my Pflueger large arbor with all my spools!

If you let me take a 4th, I'd grab a 300 sized spinner.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redsetta

QuoteI would take the Kalashnikov of baitcasters with me, my red Amb 5500.
Good call Morten - that's a pretty accurate metaphor.
The first two are easy, the last more of a toss-up:
  • Penn/Tiburon 113h 'Tank'
  • Ambassadeur 6500
  • Penn/Tiburon 501 or Penn/Newell '99' or Shimano/Tani TLD15
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Joel.B

- Ambassadeur

there is a reel I have seen around my whole life and I never once handled one or know anything about them.

Salt-friendly?  How much drag and what kind of gears can you get? 

To be the AK47 of reels is really saying something.

saltydog

Penn 112H,113H,114H all tanked out to yank there silly little heads off. :P
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dominick

Tsk Tsk Tsk.  Such violent reaction.  Try taking a zombie fishing.  They are just poor misunderstood dead people.   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Quote from: saltydog on November 04, 2012, 11:24:19 PM
Penn 112H,113H,114H all tanked out to yank there silly little heads off. :P

Alright, I'll admit, I'm kind of a prepper. The only issue with this list, as much as I LOVE all the choices, is that the majority of fishing in a "ZOMBI APOCALYPSE" will be in shore off the rocks or in streams, I think the 112H is just a bit to big to be the smallest reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

saltydog

Depends on how big the zombies are,I don't plan on eating them just a little catch and release from the rooftops.BRAINS anyone.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

George4741

Joel, you didn't mention which reels you would grab as you are running out the door. ;)

I based my salt water reel choice on versatility and simplicity/ease of maintenance.  I'm a Penn conventional star drag guy so I chose a "99" width Tiburon framed jigmaster and a double dogged, 1+7 drag, narrow Tib framed 114H.  I think they'll handle my salt water needs.  Besides, I just like them. ;D

Most of my fishing is in fresh water and I always use very small spinners.  One that holds about 100 yds of #4 mono will do, so I chose a Mitchell 310X paired with a 5-6 ft light action rod.

My wife, who likes fishing more than I do, chose her Penn 320gt2 and Mitchell 308X.  She said two reels are enough. ::)
 George
viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

QuoteI think the 112H is just a bit too big to be the smallest reel.
My reasoning as well Ron (I also have a 112H 'Tank') - hence the Abu.
Joel, the 5500/6500 Swedish-made Abus are great little reels - high quality and eminently upgradeable.
They don't mind a bit of water exposure either - I fish mine off the paddle board with 20lb braid (and 5-7lbs drag) and rate it pretty highly.
In terms of durability, I have a ~30-year-old 6500C (Ultra Cast) that runs smoother than my new one.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

If we were only bringing reels and no parts, I would be comfortable with these;

They would pretty much cover everything.
the 9/0 is almost as heavy as the 6/0, just 2oz over.
Sorry couldn't make my mind up with the smaller reels, it would be a Surfmaster 100 or the 650SS.
Most guts on the conventionals are ss, they're also double dogged except the 100, but the dog and sleeve are ss.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Well all that saltwater gear is something but with no end of the world secret store of gas, your boats will be tombs.  I'd have to take 3 Abu 4500C's for fresh and inshore. One to use and two for parts reels.  Oh and a Ruger Vaquaro .45 long colt....

Joel.B

"Joel, you didn't mention which reels you would grab as you are running out the door."

Well I'd have to grab the 113h YTS tank I have been slaving over- if only because I'd hate to leave  it unfinished, but I imagine it will be a pretty good piece of kit when done.

I'd grab Granpa's old Mitchell 300

and the Squidder 146 that I have also been slaving over.

So two unfinished projects and an old spinning reel.  Hopefully the zombies cannot swim and i'd be safe to tinker away on my secret Island. 

Killerbug

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 05, 2012, 12:29:23 AM
If we were only bringing reels and no parts, I would be comfortable with these;

They would pretty much cover everything.
the 9/0 is almost as heavy as the 6/0, just 2oz over.
Sorry couldn't make my mind up with the smaller reels, it would be a Surfmaster 100 or the 650SS.
Most guts on the conventionals are ss, they're also double dogged except the 100, but the dog and sleeve are ss.

What a beautiful baby the red one in the middle, is that a modified Peen?
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time