DOES ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS REEL?

Started by Dominick, November 04, 2012, 11:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

This photo AT members is the original "Tank."  This is the reel that Sal originally double dogged.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.0 Sal (Altomare) knew I would be fishing in the Western Outdoor News Tuna Jackpot next week, so he sent the tank to me to test on some big fish.  I loaded it up with 80lb Seguar Braid which was given to me by Wayne (El Pescador).  The second photograph is the hat I will be wearing in the tournament.  Notice the fly?  Sal made that fly in the colors of the Italian flag and sent to me to put on my hat for good luck.  I will wear it proudly.

The last photo is of the only two reels I will be taking on this trip.  I usually load myself up with fishing gear and I am not in the mood to carry a whole bunch of stuff.  I'll take these two reels and all my Tuna lures.  I forgot to take a picture of the lures.

I've said this before.  The people on this site are terrific.  I already thanked Sal and Wayne, but I want to thank them publically in this forum.  While I am at it I want to thank all the other members that have been generous with me.  Thank you Alan, Bryan, Lee, Justin, Sal, Wayne, Frank and others too numerous to mention.  Even if I don't come in the money in the tournament, I consider myself lucky being able to compete in the tournament and to have met so many generous people on this site.  Oh! BTW I don't want to forget to mention, that Sal said I should keep the Tank as a gift from him.  I am overwhelmed by his generosity. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Go catch the big ones and have loads of fun.Good luck.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Alto Mare

Best of luck to you, Dominick! I couldn't think of a better-suited person to put the "Tank" to the test! I'll be rooting for you and checking on your progress! You're a winner...catch or no catch!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

john2244

Good luck on your trip.  As you know they are starting to catch big fish now.  A few of the boats out of San Diego have landed YFT over 200# and the American Angler landed one in the 350# range yesterday.
John

George4741

It must be quite an honor to use Sal's original tank.  Best of luck on the tournament.
  George 
viurem lliures o morirem

redsetta

Great post Dominick and 'x2' on all the sentiments therein.
It's what makes this place unique...
Good luck for the upcoming comp.
Will eagerly await the post-trip report ;)
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

John, yes I have been watching.  They got a 335lb yellow fin last week.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

hey dom,
went onto "jackpot" site after you called me and last years winner was magic. 1st time, never caught a tuna before, 1 leg,etc;  gd luck.

Cone

Good luck, Dominick. Nice fly. Is there anything Sal doesn't do? Which reel will you fish the fly on? Remember the pics. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on November 05, 2012, 03:43:35 AM
hey dom,
went onto "jackpot" site after you called me and last years winner was magic. 1st time, never caught a tuna before, 1 leg,etc;  gd luck.
Yes, they worked that angle to the max.  The guy lost his leg in an accident and he was depressed so he goes on the tournament and wins the big prize.  I don't remember for sure but I think his fish was worth $80 grand.  Dominick

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

El Pescador

Dom (Pescachaser) called me on Saturday, asking if I had time to help put new line on a reel he was taking to Cabo for the upcoming WON Tuna Tournament, I told him, give me 30, I'll be over.
Arrived, and in the garage he asked me if I recognized this reel.  Said it was a Penn 113H with a red spool.  Dom say yes, but  it's "The Tank".  I said, the tank meaning SS gear sleeves & yoke, SS Double Dogs with 5 disk CF drags?
He said, Yes, but THIS... IS... THE... TANK,     Sal (Alto Mare) sent it to him to fish with in Cabo, and then Dom places THE TANK into my hands.  I literally had to sit down for a minute.  THE TANK...    The Penn 113H project which, if I remember correctly, has taken 26 pages of communications on Alantani.com's site. It was like holding a piece of National antiquity, or the NASA space rock, but it IS THE TANK.  

What a lucky man I am, thinking, so few have seen it or held it in their hands!  Sal, then Dom, now me, WOW!  What a beautiful fishing reel, very nice job Sal!

And Dom, thank you for the kind remarks for offering the Seaguar Kazen 80 lbs. briad.  I had it from last years WON Tuna Tournament, and you mentioned you wanted to fill a reel, so it's yours to have and use.  The WON Tournament provides attendees with a very nice nylon storage bag, and it was filled with 1,000 yd. spool of either 80 or 130 lbs. braid, a hat, lures, leader material, hooks, etc.  I kept the bag and the hat, left the hooks, leader material and lures with our boat Captain, thinking he can better use this things than I can in San Mateo, CA.

We are all helping each other help each other.

And Dom, like I always say, "Fish Hard, PULL HARDER!!!"  And it's your turn for some of the Jackpot $$$!!!!!

El Pescador!

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

Dominick,

What is the name of the boat will you be fishing ????

John

El Pescador

http://www.loscabostunajackpot.com/2012_coverage/2012_team_roster.pdf

John,
Dom has the #1 registration for the second year in a row!
Team name is:  La Tuna Fortuna
Boat:  C-Rod
Angler names are on the listing.
The team names are often enjoyable to read!
Dom, we all hope you are able to post your tournament results while in Cabo!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!