Penn Master Mariner 349HC pros and cons

Started by buitrechico, November 05, 2012, 06:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buitrechico

Hi everybody,some opinions about this reel? One piece chrome bronze spool with the same heigth as Senator 6/0 but narrow,double teeth dog,optional antireverse,etc,etc.....
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Keta

My favorite older Penn reel is the 349H, not as strong as a 114H but a good reel for large butts and YT.  I even found a Newell aluminum spool to replace a warped brass/bronze one I had.  The drags can be easily converted to a CF 5+1, I have 2 set up 7+1 but they are untested.  113H SS gear sleeves are not quite the same but they work well.  I prefer the single lever ones but the double lever work good too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

I have three of them, although one is a basket case.  I've installed 1+5 drags and newell/501 spacer bars to stiffen them up a little more.  I don't like the knucklebuster lever so I replaced the sideplates with the single lever ones.  I haven't fished with them but figure thay are equivalent to a 4/0 senator.

Pros:  all steel gears, the 349H and HC have a fast retrieve ratio of 1:3.25, narrow spool (if that's what you like).

Cons:  parts are getting hard to get.  Metal drag washers are very hard to find if you want to upgrade the slow 349 to a 1+5 drag stack.

Master mariners can be confusing.  I believe all sideplates have "349" molded in them, so you must count the spool revolutions to know if you have the slow speed 349 or the faster 349H/349HC.  I suppose that could be considered another "con".  The slow 349 has a 1:2.3 retrieve ratio.  I have 349's with both gear ratios.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

The gear ratio can be changed from 3.25:1 (349H) to 2.3:1 (349) without side plate mods.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

buitrechico

What about the aluminum spool? just lighter than the old one piece bronze ones or harder to get warped?
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

redsetta

x2 on George and Lee's comments - 349s are great.
I have the HC and use it for deep water grouper/hapuku fishing.
The second AR lever never gets touched.
I've done the same mods - S/S sleeve, CF drag etc and have it loaded with 80lb braid.
Tight spooling with mono can warp the spool, so is best avoided.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Quote from: buitrechico on November 05, 2012, 07:41:59 PM
What about the aluminum spool? just lighter than the old one piece bronze ones or harder to get warped?

Not sure about warpage, the aluminum spool hasn't been fished yet, but it is MUCH lighter.

Mark Twain

buitrechico

I use the optional anti reverse lever for big black drums.Two red crabs tied on the hook (back to back,so one of them is always walking on the sea floor)with a rubber band.Anti reverse off.When black drum takes the bait and moves away (a very distrustful fish,at least here in the Argentine sea) spool begins to spin (you've got to put your thumb softly on the spool flange to avoid backlashes and also making the fish feels just a very little resistance).When black drum moves away faster and carefree you put the antireverse on and fish is strong and deep hooked.After that, the battle begins. 
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

redsetta

I may have misunderstood, but I think we're talking about different functions.
The secondary AR lever on the HC disengages the AR dog, but not the spool - meaning the handle turns backwards with the spool (also known as a 'knuckle buster' and very disconcerting if you have a fish on ;)).
The traditional freespool lever disengages the pinion gear from the spool, so the it can turn freely - which appears to be what you're describing.
Hope I'm not confusing things here ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin

Keta

For some applications having the handle turn is a plus, not for me though.

Mark Twain

buitrechico

We're talking about the same function Justin, the secondary AR lever that disengages the AR dog.In that position spool and handle spin together.I never had a problem with the"'knuckle buster" (at least so far  :D)

Richard
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

redsetta

George4741

I've been thinking about Richard's method of using the "knucklebuster" lever.  The clicker restricts the crabs movement, so the handle locked in gear with the spool can be another indicator that a fish is on.  When a fish strikes, the handle turns at a faster rate, setting off the alarm bells in your head.  Flip the lever, and viola, FISH ON.  Interesting.   
viurem lliures o morirem

buitrechico

Not exactly George.The clicker is off.You must not restrict the crabs movement,you've got to let them act naturally.Crabs make spool spins very slow (almost imperceptible)  ;)
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

George4741

Quote from: buitrechico on November 06, 2012, 04:22:51 AM
Not exactly George.The clicker is off.You must not restrict the crabs movement,you've got to let them act naturally.Crabs make spool spins very slow (almost imperceptible)  ;)

That is what I said, or at least meant, in my own pathetic way. ;D
viurem lliures o morirem