Penn 180

Started by Ron Jones, November 07, 2012, 04:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Ron, for the ss sleeve you'll need part # 98-155 coarse thread, Alan has them.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Thanks Sal,
My only concern is that PennParts lists the bridge as 3-155, and they don't list a ss sleeve for all of the reels with that bridge. In the recent Surfmaster thread, the 3-155 was described as having to small a post for the standard jigmaster bridge. I'm thinking mine will show up that way.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

You will be ok Ron, your bridge on the 180  is a 3-155 and will take the 98-155 ss sleeve. the jigmaster bridge is 3-500 and will take the 98-60 ss sleeve.
I tested mine a while back, the difference in the two sleeve posts is only .2mm . I could fit the 98-155 sleeve on a Jigmaster, but the 98-60 sleeve is just a little lose on the 3-155.

Let me stop confusing you. The 98-155 ss sleeve will definitely fit on your reel.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Thanks Sal,

That's what I wanted to hear!

So, I'm thinking this reel will work on my 8ft. Calico special. Their are coastal snapper on this island that I have sort of fallen in love with. How does 20# braid with a 15# topshot sound on this reel? Is the spool to small for that heavy line?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BogueSounder

Sal,
Thanks for this...very helpful for my frankenreels.  ;D

Mark

Bryan Young

Sal is the master Gear Head  ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

UKChris

I love those gears all lined up so neatly!
Thank you.

It also remined me that my two 12/0 have different main gears - the newer one is brass and the older one is steel (not stainless but 'moly coated' - who is moly?).

doradoben

Great photos, Sal. On the subject of frankenreels, is it possible to use a fine thread jigmaster gear sleeve in a squidder if I get the correct star?? Thanks..

Alto Mare

Quote from: doradoben on August 04, 2013, 06:28:00 AM
Great photos, Sal. On the subject of frankenreels, is it possible to use a fine thread jigmaster gear sleeve in a squidder if I get the correct star?? Thanks..
Yes you could but you will lose one of the eccentric, the one that makes the handle go backwards while the drags are set. I'm sure there is a way to still keep it, the back side of the dog would need to be a little longer.
The gear sleeve that you are asking about is part#98-505AT, this sleeve doesn't go with the squidder, but as mentioned above, you could make it work.
Here is a shot of what I'm talking about:

All you need to do is to make the dog shorter by 1/8". If you look at the opposite side of the dog, you'll notice that the eccentric is not pulling the dog away from the ratchet, when engaged, to make it work you will need to add about 1/8" at that area.
I tested the reel with the larger sleeve and it is working nicely, the dog is much louder, but I like it that way.
I do not mind doing this to my own squidders, I do not need the second eccentric.

Here is a shot of the original:

Notice how much smaller the sleeve ratchet is? That one is part # 98-155, it will fit the squidders, surfmasters monofil reels, beach masters and a couple more. This one doesn't come in fine threads

I'm sure you already know, but here is the info on the dual eccentric, look at the very first picture:
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/manuals/89bmanual.pdf

Lastly, I'm not a fan of fine threads.
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

doradoben

Thank you, Sal for the detailed photos & the explanation of the effect it would have. I didn't consider that the second lever wouldn't work, but I don't use the second eccentric either..

Johnfishy

Re: the photo of the gears.  Are those steel gears made by Penn?  Some are darker and the shiny ones look like stainless steel.  Will the darker gears hold up to a 5 stack of HT-100?

Ron Jones

Those are steel and as long as you can keep them from rusting they effectively as strong as stainless.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

doradoben

Johnfishy, there may not be enough room in the gear for 5 HT-100 washers. Some Carbonex washers are thinner, but it will probably require thinner metal washers also. An excellent example of a similar conversion is Bryan's 5+1 Jigmaster drag set.   

Bryan Young

This is one of Sal's requested washers.  Washers are designed, just waiting for funds.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Johnfishy

Thanks for all the info.   What a great site and bunch of guys!