114h side cover

Started by BMITCH, December 08, 2012, 09:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Ok so I'm hoping that someone has the answer for my problem... I recently tried to double dog a 114HLW with the SS dogs from lee. I was a little over aggressive with the grinding of the side cover and found that when the bridge plate screws were tightened down the reel would bind. The reason was that the bridge plate was not hitting the side cover which in turn would bind up the second dog I had installed. I ordered a new side cover from eBay and when compared with the old one it is different. The new one is more solid ( if that makes sense) and a maroon colored red. My question is...can this one be used? There are two tabs on the inside that are preventing the bridge plate from sitting flus. Can I just grind them flat? The bridge plate screw holes seem to line up alright. The opening for the handle is also the same diameter. Any thoughts..
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Show some pictures of both plates if you can, I might be able to  save the one that you got too agressive on.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Is the dog a bit too thick for your reel?

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

I have a reel that I got carried away on too. I found it wasn't my dog binding it was the main gear rubbing on the Plate. I relieved the gear by grinding a little clearance and it works fine. Check and make sure your gear isn't binding. I think it would have done the same thing even if i hadn't messed up. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BMITCH

Thanks guys!! I'll get some pics. Up there tonight to see what you think can be done.

BMITCH

Ok.. I think I got it.. Here are the pics? I think?

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Bryan, I think the idea is solid..the only problem is that when you bear down on the bridge screws the dog will bind. I took too much off the side plate so now the bridge has no support in that area. Maybe I need the new side plate?

Cone

There's not a lot of meat on that injection molded plate. I still think it should work. If you tighten the lower bridge screws first and then the screw through the factory dog and leave the one you added a little loose does it still bind? Looking in the gear pocket it looks like there may be some rub marks. Is the thicker carbon fiber washer under the gear causing the gear to rub and bind? Sal will chime in soon. I'm sure the Penn Guru will know what to do. A 114h bridge is pretty stout. With it supported at the bottom  and  left side + the tabs below the dogs It should take a lot to tighten the remaining screw and deflect the bridge metal. I like the spring in the dog by the way. I thought about that on a 113h but never tried it. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

BMITCH

Bob..yes, the dog will stop binding if that dog screw is not tightened all the way down. I don't want to start dealing with epoxy or thread lock to insure that the screw doesnt loosen with boat vibration. I think maybe the side cover is blown.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: BMITCH on December 08, 2012, 09:27:10 PM
There are two tabs on the inside that are preventing the bridge plate from sitting flus. Can I just grind them flat?
Any thoughts..

These tabs may be for locating  two "positioning" holes in the bridge(see  Scotts  attached link). If your bridge does not have these holes then grind them flat.

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/parts/3_114h.jpg

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Bryan Young

Try tightening down on the Yoke screws first.  Then the dog screws.  that way the bridge plate should lay flat and be supported by the sideplate before clinching down on the dogs.  it's hard to bend that bridge plate. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Thats a good idea.. I had a brain fart this mourning.. What do you think if I put one of the yoke screws which are only partially threaded in this position? Then I could tighten all the way down without to much deflection on the bridge plate?

Alto Mare

You could dill a couple of 1/16" holes at the right location and insert a pin with some locktite glue. When everything is nice and dry grind the pin to the same height as the part that the bridge plate will rest on. Just make sure that you mark your bit with some tape, yoiu don't want to drill all the way through. This might sound hard to do, but it's actually very easy. Good luck.

Very creative with that coiled sping, by the way.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal, thanks for the reply.. From you it means a lot. I just ordered a couple of the partial threaded bridge plate screws from Scott's and along with the above suggestion I should be good to go. I'll let you know how it went soon. Thanks again for everyone's input...

Bob