2.5 day on the Maximus, Puerto Vallarata, Cow's & A Super!

Started by Ricky-Ray, December 10, 2012, 09:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky-Ray

Got an invite from Fred (derfsondeck) and Erika (Top Shot) to join them on their 2.5 day trip on the Maximus in Puerto Vallarta and said "Hell Yeah".  About 11 months later we are on a plane and on the way down to PV. 

After getting off the plane in PV, first thing I see...

Heck yeah...what a relief...LOL

We grabbed our bags and rods and off to Customs.

Captain Keith meets us at the airport along with Carlos and all 9 of us start loading up both their trucks with our gear and stuff. 

Keith loading up our rod tubes on top of his SUV.

We head straight to the landing and load up and we are off the docks. 

My weapons of destruction for this trip

L-R: Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid 700X4H w/ Avet 50SDS, Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid 700X3H w/ Avet 30W, & Super Seeker 6465XH w/ Avet 4/0

Some of the toys that was available to us on the trip.

Some of us getting ready on the way out.

An awesome BBQ dinner is prepared for us.  Steak, Sausage, chicken, rice, beans, quesadilla, fresh guacamole.

Next day we are in the zone and some of us are using a plunker rig and others a flylining cabatios (sp?), Joey (Joey805) is the first one to get hooked and lands a new PB at 183.

Later on I hook onto my first ever sailfish.  Safely released.

Mike Jewitt from the BG90 putting the wood on a tuna. 

He gets a nice 243 and I land my first Dorado and it's estimated to be around 50 pounds. 

Erika (Top Shot) gets a new PB, cow 231.

Rest of the afternoon its slow fishing and we wind the day down with NY Steaks for dinner and we make a move offshore to catch some squid.  A nice 70 pound gets caught on the plunker rig but I'm already asleep so no pics.

Day 2 and we are up early and it's still dark out and we are getting ready for an early morning bite.  The fish are around and Fred (derfsondeck) lands a nice 128 (sorry no pics on my camera).  A few others and I land some smaller grade yellows around 20-50 pounds.  Next thing I know I'm hooked onto one and it's a big one and it's take line like crazy.  Put the rod on the rail and I just start putting as much pressure on it to turn it. 

With crew members and friends there guiding me and giving me encouragement and advice I finally get it to gaff and they are able to stick it and with 3 gaffs it comes over the rail.

I'm thinking maybe 250....but it tapes out to 302.  Holy Crap.....A Super Cow!!!!!

Our buddy Nate (Hilltop) gets a new PB at 201.

After a quick shower and change of clothes it was finally breakfast time.

Fred catches his fist sailfish also.

After that it was a blur on the fishing, but you remember that Dorado I caught yesterday.

Dorado taco's for lunch and dorado ceviche for mid afternoon snack.  YUMMY!!!!!!

Rest of the afternoon we put the troll rigs out and we are landing troll fish after troll fish for the rest of the day.   Troll fish were averaging 15-40 pounds.  You would have been in heaven if this was a San Diego trip.

Finally as night fell, we wound in the jigs and pointed the boat for home.  Had an awesome dinner of seared tuna steaks, rice and veggies.  Back at the docks about 8am and got breakfast in PV and hung around the area and about 1pm they start loading our coolers with our fish and we are off to the airport and on the way home.

It was truly a "Cinderella Story" for me.  First ever sailfish, first ever Dorado and totally skipping the cow club and going right into the super cow club. 

Thank you Fred and Erika for the invite, and a huge Thank you to the Crew of the Maximus.  They are without a doubt one of the best crew's.

Oh and another thank you to Jim Racela (J.Aku'hed) for the custom acid wrapped Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid 700X4H rod that landed my super cow.
Ray

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you."

- Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

john2244

Great report and pics, thanks for posting.  I love seeing those 300 pounders come over the rail.
Congratulations on making the "super cow club".  

John

Bryan Young

Wow, super exciting.  I don't know if I'd enjoy that kind of fishing though.  Looks like a ton of work...but I guess I will never know until I try. :)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Looks like a great fight brought in a beautiful fish... congrats!
Nice report, too!
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Very nice report, thanks for sharing.
I sure would like to get on that boat one day, that BBQ chorizo is a nice bonus ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

Cone

Thanks for sharing. Now in order to top your first you'll have to work at it. Thats a monster! Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Dominick

Ricky-Ray:  That is an awesome report.  I enjoyed it so much I want you to go back and do it again so I will have more pictures to look at.  ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

great report.  i'm looking at a trip with jim hart next year down to pv.  looks like fun. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

wallacewt

hi ricky ray
did u rest the rod on the rail at any time,it dont show in the pics!

Ricky-Ray

Not when I was at the stern but as it went up to the bow I laid it on the rail and dropped to a knee so I could put more pressure on it.  Unfortunately when I was at the bow there were no pics taken.
Ray

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you."

- Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

wallacewt

HOLEINTHEWATER

GREAT REPORT.  DON'T THINK MY OLD BODY COULD PULL SOMETHING LIKE THAT UP.