Long Beach 67 - the drag washer conspiracy!

Started by morays, December 11, 2012, 04:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morays

Hi,

Firstly, great site.  I am a newbie to salt water trolling and have managed to get a Long Beach 67 and 68 for $20.  I have stripped down and cleaned the 67 and am ready to reassemble but I want to replace the drag washers first.  I keep seeing that there should be 3 drag washers in the assembly on websites that I have visited but this particular reel has 5 drag washers and 5 steel washers.  2 of the steel washers have small lugs on the outer rim and three have inner shapes that match the bridge sleeve.  Does this mean that the washer model will not be the 6/1-113 that the manual states to use as it only states that there should be three of them???
Any help would be greatly appreciated, including what I might find once I open the 68 :)
Is there any way to tell the age of the reels as there is noting that I can see that is stamped anywhere on the reel.

Moray

raumati01

One of the things I've learned from this site is that the older penns have what is called a 3+1 drag, three fibre washers and one under the gear set and the later models have the better 5+1.
Someone more knowledgable then me will be able to fill you in on whether or not you can upgrade to the later model setup which gives you more surface area and better drags.

What do you intend fishing for with the reels?Their retrieve is pretty slow by modern standards.

Ron Jones

Someone has already upgraded your drags. If the fibre disks are made of carbon fiber and in good shape you can lubricate them with Cal's grease and put the reel back together ready to go.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

you have already been upgraded!  check to see if you have a carbon fiber washer under the main gear as well.  add drag grease and you should be all set!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

morays

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.  The existing fiber washers were damaged while stripping the reel (fat fingers on my part) so I need to replace them.  Should I simply use the HT-100 6/1-113s or are they thicker as they correspond to the three washer setup mentioned in the 67 manual?  If they are too thick what is the model of washer that I need to enable me to get the 5 washer configuration I now have.  I cannot find anywhere I can physically visit to check out the washers and so I want to get it right before I order them online.
Thanks again for the help so far.

Moray

George4741

Moray,
You'll need the 6-60 HT100s.  They are same diameter but thinner than the 6-113 and will allow you to stuff 5 of them in the gear.  Most of us put a 6-113 under the gear for a true 1+5 drag stack.  The following link is probably the best reference for your reel, even though it is for a 111 Senator.  The gears and drags are the same.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=44.0
viurem lliures o morirem

morays

George,

The link is perfect.  Thank you very much.
I think like you I will go for the stock 4-60 fiber washer under the main  gear so I don't have to Dremmel out the inside of the case on the 68.
On the 67 the case is open where the drag washers are as the is a "cap" washer on the outside.  I will use a 6-113 under that cap washer and 4-60's between all remaining metal washers.  Looks like the eccentric spring on the 68 was also old as it snapped while cleaning.  One more thing to add to the list :P

Moray