Drag stack

Started by BMITCH, December 20, 2012, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

This may be a stupid question...but what if the drag stack..ie.3 +1 to go to 5+1 extends over the gear? That is if the side cover will allow you to fit it in.. Will the washers that are over the gear not work properly. Also what if you were to have a slightly smaller O.D. Metal and fiber washer on top in relation to the ones below that are in the gear?
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

The last eared washer has to sit flush in the gear or at least the ears have to " catch " in the slots in the gear. The next carbon fiber washer on top after the gear will add some drag but any others will not. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

alantani

yes, as long as the eared metal washer seats properly in the main gear, the next higher drag washer, the keyed metal washer, the spacers and bellevilles can all sit above the main gear.  it's just that last eared washer that is important.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

So on a 3+1 the config. Would be...fiber,flat metal,fiber,eared metal,fiber,flat metal. And on the 5+1 it would be fiber,flat metal,fiber,eared metal,fiber,flat metal,fiber,eared metal,fiber,flat metal and spring washer,spacer then star???

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

So why not just use all eared washers. Why use the flat ones at all??

Jimmer

The flat ones turn with the shaft, the eared ones turn with the gear, and there's friction in between creating drag. With all flat or all eared they would all turn together - no drag.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Dominick

Quote from: Jimmer on December 20, 2012, 09:17:04 PM
The flat ones turn with the shaft, the eared ones turn with the gear, and there's friction in between creating drag. With all flat or all eared they would all turn together - no drag.

Jimmer:  Coefficient of drag (as it pertains to fishing reels) explained in one simple sentence, I love it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BMITCH

Jimmer, thanks for clearing that up for me! It now makes it clear,but if you were to have another fiber than a flat washer than the spring washer on top of the last eared washer wouldn't that add another washer to the drag stack giving more drag to the reel? Or is it that you feel that would just spin?

Keta

The eared washers turn with the gear, the keyed washers turn with the gear sleeve, as long as the top eared washers ears are in the gear the top CF and keyed washer will add more drag.  Another keyed washer on top of that will turn with the keyed washer below it and will do nothing but add to drag stack height.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Ok, so I have a 112H that I'm upgrading. I have double doggs and accurate 5:1 gears installed. The drag stack now is...fiber,flat,fiber,eared,fiber,flat,spring,spacer sleeve,star. I can fit an additional set( fiber/metal) without binding on the side cover. Should the set be as follows? Fiber,flat,fiber,eared,fiber,eared,fiber,flat,spring.... Would this increase drag or with the two eared washers will it not do anything? Bear in mind the final two washers(fiber,flat) are above the gear. Or am I just out of my mind and over thinking a 112H??

Jimmer

You need to have an odd number of metal washers to gain any drag. Two keyed washers in a row will turn together, not adding anything, and the eared washers must engage the slots on the gear to transmit power to it. the gear itself acts as a keyed washer at the bottom of the stack, so the next metal washer is eared and they alternate eared keyed on up the stack. hope this is making sense and clearing it up for you - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

BMITCH

Jammer, I get that. If you have a standard 3+1 config. Inside the gear would be first a fiber than keyed then fiber than eared than fiber than keyed. No?

BMITCH

So if I wanted to go to a 4+1. Would it be a plus to go fiber,keyed,fiber,eared,fiber,eared(still engaged in gear),fiber keyed? Giving a 4+1??

BMITCH

On this gear you can't puta fiber than an eared. This is due to the slots for the eared not extending all the way to the bottom of the gear. So the only choice to start is fiber than key.