Is it OK to soak the Daiwa Sealine 50H and 30H in CLR?

Started by dbarnett66, December 29, 2012, 10:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbarnett66

I bought 4 beat up Diawa Sealines for $15 each that have some corrosion and crust visible from the outside. Can I soak them for a few hours without damaging the anodized finish or alloy frame? Only one reel seems to have the rash bad on the side plate. I want to completely clean them inside and out and put new drag washers, etc.

Thanks in advance.

locknut

Gidday. CLR has Sulfamic acid in it which is likely to damage uncorroded metal. I would use something like Salt Off or Salt Free these types of products have buffers in them that will not allow damage to bare metal. Good luck.

day0ne

Be careful. The aluminum parts on those reels are cast aluminum so the anodizing isn't very tough. You will be surprised how cheap the parts are for these reels. For instance, a left side plate for a 50H is a little over $7
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

SoCalAngler

I'd take the reels apart and use CLR on the corroded metal parts only. I have used CLR in the bathroom/kitchen version, which is foaming, to clean off corrosion off the metal parts on reels, rod guides and and such. The foaming CLR clings to the metal better and I let work for a few minutes then scrub with a old toothbrush or scrubbing pads for dishes. Rinse with water and repeat if or where necessary. It has worked well for me but I would not let parts sit in it for more than a few minutes. For aluminum I use Simple Green so I don't harm the anodizing. I'm not sure CLR will but I don't take that chance.

dbarnett66

Thanks all. I am intrigued about where you can find parts for these reels. Is there a website that has ordering information? I would most likely need at least two of the side plates. Thanks for the warnings and advice. I have the next week off and I want to tear into the ugliest looking reel first.

day0ne

Quote from: dbarnett66 on December 30, 2012, 07:45:31 AM
Thanks all. I am intrigued about where you can find parts for these reels. Is there a website that has ordering information? I would most likely need at least two of the side plates. Thanks for the warnings and advice. I have the next week off and I want to tear into the ugliest looking reel first.

You can look up the part numbers and see drawings of the reels at:

http://southwesternparts.com/

You can order the parts there but the cheapest prices I've found are by calling Daiwa direct.

Factory Warranty Service & Parts
   Daiwa Corporation
   11137 Warland Drive
   Cypress, CA, 90630
   562-375-6800
   800-736-4653

They also have the schematic (parts diagrams) at daiwa.com . Check under Service
David

dbarnett66

Opened up the first 50h from the picture above. It is the reel located on the bottom right.  I was pleasantly surprised that the insides were not as bad as I thought. A very rough cleaning occurred on the outside of the reel. Nothing was touched on the inside. I have included my thoughts for each photo, so please correct me if I am headed down the wrong path. :)

Ring plate off:

I think I am going to need to replace clicker button and ring plate. I would like to order a right ring side plate but it appears to be part of the larger assembly right side plate. I think that would be cost prohibitive, but I will check with Diawa tomorrow. Hopefully, Diawa has the parts. I realize that I don't need them, but I would be happy with a more cosmetically appearing reel. I think these old Diawa are tanks compared to the $50 cheap reels that I see today. I don't mind putting another $25 bucks into them if need be. I will use a high speed buffing pad to see if I can smooth out the surface on the side plate.

Spool looks good:

Opposite side of spool

Handle is pretty bruised up. I may buy a replacement from Diawa to add some bling back.

Nice sharp gears on the business end.

I was expecting much more damage than this. I still need to get the courage to unpack the springs and washers. Will try that tomorrow.

Looking for suggestions to thoroughly soak and degrease parts for reassembly. I will need to order the following parts: Handle assembly, click button, left side plate ring and 4 side plate screws, drag washers. I have not looked at bearings yet. Looking for your input there. The right side plate ring looks like it can be polished since it is in better condition. Let me know what you think. Was $15 a good deal?

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

looks like it worked a little too well in places.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dbarnett66

Quote from: alantani on January 04, 2013, 09:50:38 AM
looks like it worked a little too well in places.......   :-\

Hi Alan, I was confused about your comment. Are you saying that the reel is worn out on the inside? Thanks in advance. I don't want to throw good money into a bad reel.

alantani

some of these parts are chrome over brass.  when you remove the corrosion, you leave the exposed brass. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dbarnett66

Bummer. Sounds like I might have made a bad investment and ditch the idea of restoring these reels. Thanks for the help. At least I am out only $45. Live and learn.  I think I will pony up the money for a new Penn 500 or something. I guess the grand experiment failed. I might get lucky and find 1 of the other three reels salvageable. Thanks again for the help....

Alto Mare

The ones you're showing don't look that bad. Take the reels copletely apart,  degrease the parts and soak them in Simple Green for a couple of days and see what you got. I use Simple Green straight out of the bottle, I don't dilute it. Don't worry about damaging the parts, I've left them in up to a week and never had problems. Sometimes chromed parts come out looking like new.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

day0ne

Quote from: dbarnett66 on January 05, 2013, 08:21:13 AM
Bummer. Sounds like I might have made a bad investment and ditch the idea of restoring these reels. Thanks for the help. At least I am out only $45. Live and learn. 

For $45, you are way ahead of the game. You could make these look new and probably still get your money back. The chrome parts for these reels are cheap! Beasides, they are great reels
David

dbarnett66

Whoops, I must have misunderstood then. I will dissemble the rest of the reel and come up with a parts list to see what the damage will be. Thanks for posting. This made my day. :)