Spooling 100 lb braid?

Started by Redfish King, January 04, 2013, 03:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

I read somewhere spooling braid on big reels yourself (not the nice machine at the store) is not too easy because it needs to be loaded pretty tight.  Ive never done it before is this true? If so what are the tricks to get it tight?Im willing to build something if necessary.Im wanting to spool some 9/0 Penns with 100 lb spectra.

whalebreath

Heavy leather gloves and a certain amount of resistance on the spool you're taking it from.

I haven't found it truly difficult just time consuming and a tad uncomfortable

Keta

Jerry Brown recommends 10 lbs when spooling Spectra.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

I use an empty reel to wind the line on from the spool under about 4-6 pounds of measured tension. Then I set the drag on the newly-spooled reel at 8-10 pounds of drag and transfer the line onto the intended reel. Recheck the tension on the source reel as the spool level goes down to maintain the same drag setting.

Check the sideplate of the supply reel now and then for heat and allow the drags to cool off periodically. Yes, it's difficult, but at least I know the line is on with no gaps or soft spots.

I built a jig out of PVC, iron pipe, hose clamps (for the reels), and other hardware to hold the spool and the two reels facing each other. I can't get the pictures to post.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

I use a Penn 70 that has questionable bearings for this, it rarely heats up.  One of these days I'll rebuild the 70 and have to use something else.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

If you don't have a line winder, you can install it by hand if you hold a wet rag and squeeze as tightly as possible. But then you still need to go out to sea, put on a pound or so of weight, let out all the line and crank it back in while underway.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Dominick

Quote from: akfish on January 04, 2013, 08:37:42 PM
If you don't have a line winder, you can install it by hand if you hold a wet rag and squeeze as tightly as possible. But then you still need to go out to sea, put on a pound or so of weight, let out all the line and crank it back in while underway.

Akfish, and you've done this before?  One pound with the boat underway?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Redfish King

Thanks for the help I think I will load a spool and set drag then spool with a measured drag.Thats a pretty good ideal.I wont be reeling in 1lb of wieght underway because Im not Arnald shwartswhatever and I will be shark fishing from the beach delivering bait via kayak.

How should I stack line on these 9/0 penns for shark fishing from beach and what lb test mono should I use?What knots also?Ideally I would like 700 yards 100 lb spectra so what should the top shot be 80 Lb mono 100 lb I dont know?I really need about 50 to 75 yards mono on top. Also is there a favorite top shot brand of mono something really tough?

akfish

Yea -- but the boat isn't running full speed. A fast troll is plenty to pack the line.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Squirmypug

Redfish King, on a 9/0 80lb line is usually good for beach shark fishing. Any brand works but most guys will go with cheaper line because the line gets damaged very easy on the beach. (Cheaper line is usually a little thicker than expensive line and doesn't get cut as easy) I like to use Berkley Big Game. For knots I use the Albright special for the spectra/mono connection(uni to uni knot is good also). And the palomar knot is great for the mono to swivel.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

inhotpursuit

I use a simple jig ,drilled a hole in the work bench put in a 6 " 5/16 stove bolt( an 8" 3/8 could handle a heavier tension spring)  slipped on 4 washers with greased carbontex washers  in between each pair , one tension spring then held in place with a  nylon lock nut and a wing nut over that just to keep every thing in place, it won't hit 10 lb of tension unless you put a heavier spring on it  but it works better than  using a wet rag and hand pressure.

Keta

I use a tennis ball on each side for resistance.

Mark Twain

spes

I can hear it now,,
"Honey, why is there a 6 " 5/16 stove bolt sticking out of the kithcen counter?"
  ::) ::) ::)

inhotpursuit

Haha yeah i suggest you keep it to the workshop or mancave, Lee ghow do you use a tennis ball?on each side of What

Keta

Punch a hole in the tennis balls and shove them on the all thread on each side of the spool. Then put a fender washer on each side and tension the spool using double nuts so they don't back off.  I'll try to run down to the shop and post a photo.

Mark Twain