Ultrasonic Cleaner?

Started by rickjc, November 20, 2009, 09:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickjc

Alan or anyone,

I'm interested in buying an ultrasonic cleaner, their are so many different choices (price, brand, size) any input would be helpful.

Thanks
Rick

realmedic

im looking into getting one of these in the future as well. this is where some home work will pay off, as well as input from Alan and other reel tech's.

alantani

i hardly ever use my ultraconic cleaner anymore.  i basically stick to repair.  cleaning is not part of the program.  

so at the risk of sounding like i'm harping, you really need to keep your gear clean.  even if it means sneaking it into the back of the dishwasher when the old lady is not at home. i used to clean reels that come in, but i've given up.  if they are send in gunked up like that, my cleaning them will make absolutely no difference in the long run.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

realmedic

alan,

doesnt using an ultra sonic cleaner get the old rust and gunk out of a reel though?

alantani

honestly, they work pretty well.   here's a 1 gallon version. 
http://www.amazon.com/SharperTek-Digital-Gallon-Ultrasonic-Cleaner/dp/B001LFDP3C  1 gallon is the minimum size that i would get now.  i actually bought a half gallon ultrasonic cleaner from a local dentist for $40.  it really is too small.  figure in the cost for extra time that you will spend to clean the reel, and it will take extra time. 

realmedic

yeah i hear ya on that alan but for clients it may be worth its while if i get reels in that are badly abused and never cleaned and convintional methods do not work.

Cortez_Conversions

Hi all,
Just a reminder, don't use any flammable liquids in the ultrasound! Also, Choose a mild soap(I use simple Joy brand dish soap) or you run the risk of etching or staining your reel parts. I believe Alan has an oops with this?
Tight lines
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

alantani

yeah, i used laundry detergent which contains sodium carbonate.  it's mildy corrosive and not an issue for a normal wash cycle.  leave it overnight and it will eat through the anodizing.  now i just use green soap. 

realmedic

got a question for you alan will that 1/2 gallon ultra sonic cleaner be just fine for low profile baitcasters?

alantani

yes, but if you're going to make your fortune this way, you will need a larger capacity cleaner.  also, as your fame and fortune grow, you will be pulled in the offshore two speed market.  it is a natural flow of events.  alan

realmedic

me famous  :o i dont know about that Alan ive got a long way to go before i get there  ;) sooner or later though i figure its bound to happen the off shore reel market that is.

jadu

Nice  ???  If you are interested you can visit the www.leelaelectronics.in   and browse many ultrasonic cleaners. Not just ultra sonic autopart cleaners but you will find many types of ultrasonic cleaners like table top cleaners , larger ultrasonic & other applications

Tightlines667

Sorry to resurrect this old post.  After searching for months, I think I finally found what I'm looking for.  I bought a used Fisher FS110 Ultrasonic Cleaner.  It has nearly a 12X10X6 bath (11Quart capacity) and should hold 2 coffee cans full of parts.  It's got 4-100watt/40khz freq. transducers, draws 3.3amps, and has a drain, lid, SS reservoir, and analog 60min timer.  Bought it from a private seller off of Ebay for $190 and it arrives in 3-5days.  I'm hoping this will speed up my service times, since cleaning the parts is prob the most labor intensive and time consuming part of my 5 step service process.  I hope it comes with the cord, and the transducers are still working good.  At $200 it was worth the risk.  I can't believe how hard it was to get someone to ship one of these to me here in HI. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Great John!  I'll send you a 55 gallon drum of parts and you'll ship them back to me ;D. Let me know how good it does for you.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Let us know how it works out John. Fred uses one and he is a reel building machine. ;D
I would talk to him before you fire that bad boy up. ;)
Life is Good!