Gemini Alpha Bait Clips

Started by buitrechico, January 07, 2013, 09:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buitrechico

Hi everybody,
                     Have you ever tried this device for long distance casting? If so, I'll appreciate your reviews.

http://www.gerrysfishing.com/gemini-alpha-bait-clip.ir?cName=sea-fishing-terminal-tackle
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Irish Jigger

Irish Jigger

Hi Richard,old post here from the UK (2006.) This poster seems quite pleased with the Gemini Alpha Bait Clips as they have less wind resistance than the shielded types.  Will check with my beach fishing friends.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=58132&hl=%2Bgemini+%2Balpha+%2Bbait+%2Bclip

Jeri

Hi All,

We use a variety of bait clip methods, though the UK variety usually only work with smaller hooks, forthe larger hooks that we use here, we tend to use ones that we make - same principle, just slightly larger, or we fit an extra wire in the sinker, next to the eye, and bend after pouring, so even the sinkers have a bait clip. Generally, you will get between 10-15 metres more in your cast, and because thesinker/bait combination is flying smoother, less over winds in the cast. Pretty much essential for fishing at distance.

Hope that helps.

Jeri

buitrechico

Thanks Jeri,
                 I used the Breakaway Impact Shields and the Gemini Splash Down Solo and they worked very good.The only issue with the Gemini is that you can only use hook sizes up till 4/0,but we fixed it up using a "loop".I tried the Breakaway with 6/0 hooks and no problem.I didn't try the Alpha bait clips yet, but  they seem to work ok with 4/0-6/0 hooks.I've got a doubt about releasing the hook in midflight because the plastic tube seems to be very easy to slide.About the sinker with the bent wire you say, sometimes fails, and the hook remains clipped,so you really can't be sure if the hook with the bait is waving free on the seabed.I think that the bait clip devices that "ejects" the hook are so much better than the ones that only loosen the hook.

Regards,

Richard

PS:What's the common hook size you use for surfcasting?
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Jeri

Hi Richard,

As said, we make a clip that fits on the bottom of the trace, just before the sinker, that has a larger/longer length of metal for the hook/bait combination, and with a little fine tuning when you are fishing, it pretty much releases 100% of the time, the key point in the trace is that the hook length needs to be longer than the sinker length. The release issue, is that while the sinker has forward motion, and not overtaken by the bait & hook, the release will be on impact.

Having said all this, we prefer the 'fixed' type of release clip, as at times we are using large baits, with hooks up to 11/0 or 10/0, and developing a one size fits all situation seems to make it work well. Our general fishing - smaller sharks and larger edible species is with 4/0 & 6/0 hooks, and we have found that the simple tied on clip works very well.

If there is something that I have learned through the years, is to keep it simple, making complex rigs doesn't impress the fish, and usually doesn't work with reliability.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

buitrechico

Hi Jeri,
          Thank you so much for your explanation.What's that "fine tuning" you're talking about?

Cheers from "sometimes sunny" Argentina :D
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Jeri

Hi Ricardo,

'Fine Tuning', sometimes the 'J' section of the wire clips is pronounxed, and we just 'unbend' it slightly, so that the hook and bait only just hold, and that way we guarantee that the bait and hook will be released from the clip on landing.

So, what species are you surf fishing for in Argentina?? Not a place made famous for its surf fishing, more the trout streams in the south. Obviously that is not to say that there isn't great surf fishing there, just it is never publicised.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

buitrechico

Hi Jeri,
         Thanks for the "fine tuning" advise.Trout fishing (flycasting) in the South is very much promoted because it benefits the foreign tourism, considering their high purchasing power (a kind of an Argentine ministry of tourism strategy).By the other hand,if you look at the Argentina map,the good sea fishing zone (beach fishing and offshore) is situated from Punta Rasa (Buenos Aires) to San Antonio Oeste (Río Negro).The best places for surf fishing are:Villa Gesell,Mar Chiquita,Mar del Plata,Necochea,Claromecó y bahía San Blas (known as "the fishermen paradise".Further south, there are less fish species to fish from the shore because wind and sea currents are very strong (Patagonia coast) with the exception of Golfo San Jorge y Golfo Nuevo (Chubut/Santa Cruz).
The surf fishing species are: Corvina negra,Corvina rubia ,Corvina carbonera,Pejerrey,Brótola,Pescadilla,Palometa,Chucho,Raya,Pez elefante,Sargo,Pez guitarra,Tiburón bakota,Tiburón escalandrún,Tiburón gatopardo,Tiburón gatuzo,Tiburón martillo,Burriqueta,Lisa,Lenguado y Congrio.

Cheers

Ricardo
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Fish-aholic

Hi Ricardo,

From the link you supplied to the shop Gerry's, did you see the bait clips called breakaway IMP's? I don't know what size baits you use for your surf fishing, but these bait clips are fantastic for baits that are of the worm variety, whole squid and fish fillets/strips.

For large baits (whole mackeral), the IMP bait clips are not what you want.

Here's a link to Gerry's.  There's also a short youtube video explaining said bait clips:

http://www.gerrysfishing.com/detail.jsp?rpid=0&rid=0

All the best in finding what you need,

Steve

buitrechico

Thank you so much Steve,I've already seen the Imps video and I think they work very good with small baits as you say.UK is really a worldwide leader in the manufacture of fishing devices and implements (Breakaway,Gemini,Namix,ZZiplex,etc).I'd like to get reviews or videos about the Gemini Alpha bait clips but I found very little in the web (UK) and nothing in USA
Irish Jigger was going to ask his beach friends (He is a very good guy),meanwhile I'll keep on searching.

Regards,

Richard 
Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Fish-aholic

I think the little information you can find regarding the alpha bait clips is proof enough, Richard.  :-\ Popular products leave a 'long' bread crumb trail of information behind. If the bread crumb trail is short, you got to ask yourself, why is this so?

I have been a surf caster for many years and I have yet to see anyone incorporating alpha bait clips onto their rigs. I had a look on youtube and found a homemade version of the alpha bait clips you enquire about. Difference is, the wire which holds the hook in position is clipped directly onto the lead link (fastlink clip). To me this looks a far better concept than the alpha bait clips, of which incorporate added terminal tackle below the alpha bait clip to make it work (beads and crimp). I'm one for keeping things simple.  ;)

I personally use Namix leads with IMP bait clips for distance casting. The IMP's keep the bait tucked directly behind the flat back of the namix lead to aid the slipstream effect. Very large baits will release mid flight as I mentioned.

I also use breakaway impact leads which are not hampered by hook size. Fantastic leads and are much better design than the gemini solo leads you have already used. The cost for postage would be a consideration?

http://www.gerrysfishing.com/breakaway-impact-leads.ir?cName=sea-fishing-terminal-tackle

Cheers from a rain strewn and hardly ever sunny Wales,

Steve  :D

buitrechico

Hi Steve :D
                I'm very pleased for your help.I agree with you about when bread crumb trail is short...,yet I wonder why something that doesn't work properly is still on sale (are they waiting for people like me to buy them? :D :D.) I'm interested in the Alpha bait clips performance because that kind of device is very easy to make at home as it's shown in the video.You may think why he doesn't try to build one at home,go to fish and see what happens?,well, I'm going to do that, but I have to wait until mid february (unless I try them in a swimming pool :D)and meanwhile, it would be better if I get some good reviews that show it's worth to build them.As you know, we anglers are crazy people.
About the Breakaway leads with the built in bait clip (the plastic cone) I know that they work very good,but here in Argentina customs taxes are incredibly expensive beyond 20-25 grams weight and also I'd prefer a device that can be used with different leads (breakout leads,plain leads,etc)
There's a new Namix lead with a plastic bait clip built in, similar as the Breakaway Imps

Have you seen this?

http://www.fishing-forum.info/fishing-tackle-review-section/33647-new-namix-phoenix-clip-leads-here.html

I'm not sure if the plastic bait clip attachement on the wire is reliable

Cheers from Buenos Aires,Argentina :D

Richard

Ricardo Dell´Aquila

Brendan

Thanks Richard. I only surf fish a few times a year now that my childhood stomping grounds were closed for fishing. I still like to have a bait soaking wile I fish small plastics with light tackle in the areas I can still fish and have never seen the clips and leads in this post before. I really want to try some sort of clip this spring. Tight lines, Brendan.

buitrechico

Hi Brendan,
                 Take a look at this:http://www.breakawayusa.com/

http://www.breakaway-tackle.co.uk/

http://www.gemini-tackle.co.uk/

There's a lot of interesting things for fishing ;)

Richard
Ricardo Dell´Aquila