PENN 114H GEAR SET. WHO WILL BE IN???

Started by Black Pearl, January 24, 2013, 07:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: coonhound on January 25, 2013, 01:28:22 PM
Will Alan get a SS gear sleeve made for the 114h?  

I have installed 3 of Allan's gear sleeves in 114H reels.

Quote from: slgriffiths on January 25, 2013, 06:03:25 AM
would rather probably prefer the original 2.8 to one, in stainless.

If you don't need the higher gear ratio the stock brass main gears run smoother.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

VW

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

melkapule

On the 113h posting I mentioned wanting two sets for the 114h.
Melvin in Kawaihae, Hawaii.

slgriffiths

If you don't need the higher gear ratio the stock brass main gears run smoother.
[/quote]

Lee, that's very true - that's what I'm running now - but would love to have stainless.  Maybe just a bling thing.  I'd like a 114H with a totally stainless gear train and sleeve, with the winching power it was designed with.  I don't think I'll ever be in a situation where anything I'm likely to catch will strip out a 114H's bronze gears. But stainless is so tempting...

But will still take a couple of the higher geared sets!

Simon

Alto Mare

Quote from: slgriffiths on February 06, 2013, 05:50:13 AM

Lee, that's very true - that's what I'm running now - but would love to have stainless.  Maybe just a bling thing.  I'd like a 114H with a totally stainless gear train and sleeve, with the winching power it was designed with.  I don't think I'll ever be in a situation where anything I'm likely to catch will strip out a 114H's bronze gears. But stainless is so tempting...

But will still take a couple of the higher geared sets!

Simon
[/quote]
Simon, if you do a little research, you will find that Penn did have the 2.8:1 in stainless steel.
These have the 2.8:1 stock ss gears

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Sal, those are some georgous anniversary reels. I love the frames with the red spools. Are you going to fish them or are they just eye candy?  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Thanks Bob! no not fishing those, they do have the ss dogs though...maybe one day.
Yes those red spools look sweet.
I believe 4 persons were involved with one of those red spools there: The seller, you for buying it , Dominick, for asking you if he could buy it from you so you could send it to me and me who received it ;D.
that's what i call connections ;)
Thanks again guys!

broadway

Every time I see those reels I have to wipe the drool from my lip. Really like the trim rings... Puts the reel into a class of its own!
You're definitely connected... You might be the reincarnation of Otto hence;)
Sweet stuff,
Dom

Cone

Sal, Where did you get the red trim rings? Did you get them painted/coated? Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Alto Mare

Hey Bob, those are powder coated.  Check with Jamie ( Broschro ).
Sal

slgriffiths

[/quote]
Simon, if you do a little research, you will find that Penn did have the 2.8:1 in stainless steel.
These have the 2.8:1 stock ss gears
Sal
[/quote]

Sal, that's just not fair!  It's almost cruel!
They are really beautiful...
Thanks for sharing.  And I didn't know that Penn did 2.8:1 in stainless.  Thanks for the info.

Simon

Cone

Simon, Penn put the ss gears in their anniversary reels in the 80's. Somewhere sal posted a catalog pic. It clearly said stainless steel gears. I don't remember which post. Bob

shellbank99