S.S. sleeve for 259

Started by twopatch, January 27, 2013, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Twopatch and George, I was checking a few bridges that I have and wouldn't you know it, I found one from the earlier models.
Now I see what you're talking about:

Does the top of yours post look the same as mine?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

twopatch

That,s the one Sal.It looks like there are a few of these "skinny"posts out there.

George4741

Sal,
Are you referring to the shallow hole machined in the top of the left bridge post?  One of my skinny posts is flat on top and the other has a hole.  They are .187 inch diameter.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Yes George, I did see that yours didn't have it, twopatch did.
I also noticed that some of my 109 have that same hole on top, I'm wondering why they did it on some and not the others, I'm also wondering what was the reason :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yeah, my gear sleeves will not fit the post on the right.  is that what you guys have?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, the one on the left is rare. I believe your sleeve was made for the one on the right, that one is the same as the rest, up to the 3/0.

alantani

so, is this why the gear sleeves you have are so loose, or is it the gear sleeve itself.  i checked the ones i had and they are all fine.  but if anyone has a gear sleeve that is too loose on a new style bridge, i will be happy to replace it.  just send me an e-mail with your address.  it's getting hard to keep track of stuff again. 

Alto Mare

It is the gear sleeve itself, but I'm not worried about it. As I said in my previous posts, I only wanted to mention it  so the machinist can make adjustments.

Guys maybe the thinner post in not that rare after all :-\

I just got this one in the mail.
You want to hear something funny? The spool on this reel is chipped on one side, I told the seller about it and he said he couldn't do anything about it because a took it apart.
All I did was to turn the thumb screw and remove the plate, so i could inspect the reel.
That moron said that it was still considered taking it apart....there is always one ::)

broadway

The good news is that doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. Happened to me last year, and I took a picture of the reel with a frozen pinion, cracked side plates... Yes two! And a few more things. Needless to say I got the same response... How do I know you didn't damage the reel from opening it. Needless to say nothing was done. If he only knew that you're Penns secret weapon;)
Dom

Keta

I checked my early 60 and it has the smaller shaft.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

be nice, guys. we were all there once, too!  so, sal, the photo you show has a narrow post.  my gear sleeves don't fit those. 

guys, are these the ones you having trouble with?  if so, you will have to get a new bridge. 

Alto Mare

Alan, I don't blame you for being confused...welcome to the club ;D ;D. In the beginning of this thread, Twopatch mentioned if there were ss sleeves available, that would fit the narrower post from the earlier bridge plate. I don't believe you ever made those available.
I also mentioned that the ss sleeve is also lose on a couple of my standard posts, the 0.205". So this is where we're at.
I only have two that are a little wobbly on my reels, I'm not worried about it, I will work with it.
If no one else is having the same issue that I mentioned above, then everything is fine and we'll move on.
Sal

George4741

So, for those of us who want to use a ss gear sleeve on a 3-99 bridge, and the bridge post is the smaller diameter, the only known source for a 3-99 bridge is reelygone.com.  And we're not sure if his has the larger post.

Twopatch, any word from Dan?  If he has more than one 3-99 bridge, then I'll order one, too.

George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

it is possible to machine a post that can be held in by a screw.  that means drilling out the old post.  we had to do that a while back.  we are talking about more machine shop time. 

twopatch

George , Dan said he has 1 new one left. I will ask him if he has any used ones.