S.S. sleeve for 259

Started by twopatch, January 27, 2013, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twopatch

I am in the process of making narrow 259,or a 1/0 if you will. I got a 259,and 501 on E bay.along with some newell parts. While I was building my new real, I come to find out that the bridge shaft on the 259 is only 3/16,not 7/32 like on the Jigmasters. I don't want to use the brass gear sleeve. Does anyone know if a 3/16 I.D. holed S.S. gearsleeve exists?

Alto Mare

The 98-60 AT coarse tooth should do just fine on those.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

twopatch

I checked the drop down menu On Scotts web page and the 259 was not there. I have one of Allen's 98/505 and it has about .030 worth of slop.

Alto Mare

No, Scott doesn't list it. You basically have a jigmaster sleeve. The 3-99 is similar to the sleeve on the 112H,  1/0 ,jigmasters and a few more. There is a possability that the post on your bridge Changed along the way, if that's the case, I can't help you.
I believe the 98-505 has fine tooth, you're looking for coarse tooth.
Here is the info for the 98-60AT:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Custom/98-60AT.aspx

It's not showing the 259 (3-99) bridge.
I just checked the sleeve on the 3-99, 3-500 and 112H, they're all identical :-\
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

twopatch

thanks for checking Sal, I must have a older 259. There are no part #'s on the bridge,or sleeve,or yoke.

George4741

Twopatch,
You may have to get a newer bridge with the proper diameter shaft.  Check with reelygone.com.  He has a 3-99 bridge that might be one of the newer ones.
viurem lliures o morirem

twopatch

George,I e-mailed Dan ,He said that he will check for me on Friday.  In the mean time,I borrowed another 259 and I tore it down, It was the same size shaft size .187 ,3/16. This one had part #s  3-99 so it was a newer model then the one that I got on Ebay. ???I guess i will wait and see what Dan has to say.

George4741

I just measured the bridge post in my 99 Silverbeach and it is also .187".  Hopefully Dan's 3-99 bridge has the larger shaft.  Keep us informed.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Mine measures .205", same as everything else I measured.

George4741

My 200 surfmaster also had a .187" diameter shaft, but luckily I was able to replace the bridge with one from a 155.  There are a few of those older bridges with the smaller shaft out there. :(
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

My 100, 150 and 200s all have the larger shaft, my 60 has the smaller one.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I have a few bridges from various reels, without the sleeve, all are .205".

George, very interesting that you were able to replace the bridge fro a 155. My 200 bridge plate holes don't line up with the holes on the 155 plate :-\. I've also tried to install a 3-155 on a surfmaster...no luck. The holes are very close but not the same.

Alto Mare

Alan, I see you're checking in, I want to mention that the ss sleeves are lose even on the .205. Probably a good idea to mention it to the machinist.
Sal

twopatch

I would like to thank eveyone for their imput.I am wondering if I should have started with a 1/0?  I would think that there are some small shaft 1/0's out there,being that it has a 3-99 bridge.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 30, 2013, 04:54:42 AM

George, very interesting that you were able to replace the bridge fro a 155. My 200 bridge plate holes don't line up with the holes on the 155 plate :-\. I've also tried to install a 3-155 on a surfmaster...no luck. The holes are very close but not the same.

Yes, I have an unusual surfmaster with a -155 bridge and main gear.  I mentioned it in an older post below:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5765.0
viurem lliures o morirem