sea sick tablets

Started by wallacewt, January 31, 2013, 09:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

this one for you alan or any other chemist
the boys here want to buy usa bonine tablets for motion sickness
could you tell me something about them and how much is a case/packet pls.
also dawn informed me she can get 36mm knobs for reel handles.

Seachaser

If you are going to get sick, you will.  My doctor has a pill he takes that keeps you from throwing up, but he will not tell me what it is. 

I have tried all of them including the patch.  Did not work for me.  I now do ginger snaps and ginger ale.

Keta

I eat raw ginger root but most people can't.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on January 31, 2013, 01:34:11 PM
I eat everybody's sandwiches when they get sik, that's what happened the last time I went out ;) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

I use scopace tablets.  The only thing that works for me.

Sleeping on the boat and waking up to fish also works.  The problem then is when I get off the boat.  My body is still in motion but the ground isn't.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

I don't get seasick but people I know do and the best thing that works for them is a scopolamine patch. These will last a couple of days and the side effect is sleepyness. They put them on the night before a trip sleep well and the side effect is gone by morning. They are by prescription only but a call to their doctor and he will call in the prescription.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 31, 2013, 02:56:50 PM
Quote from: Keta on January 31, 2013, 01:34:11 PM
I eat everybody's sandwiches when they get sick, that's what happened the last time I went out ;) ;D

That is very funny Sal.  I can't get on a boat without the Scopolamine patch.  Socal you are correct, I put the patch on before I go to bed and except for a dry mouth that is all the side effect I feel.  Make sure you keep hydrated.  Dehydration has a terrible affect on the body in both hot and cold weather.  Dr. Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

I've never been seasick, yet. I've been close a couple of times. If I go out and it might be snotty I'll put on a patch. I went on a headboat years ago. They almost cancelled the trip because of the seas. I took dramamine then and out of 30 or so people only two of us didn't get sick. I would have hated to clean the cabin and head after the trip. I had someone offer me 100.00 for some dramamine but I gave him what I had and didn't take his money. I told him it was already too late and wouldn;t do any good. I have to admit it was nice to fish without the crowd. The extra chum didn't hurt either. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

wallacewt

not 1 mention of bonine, cmon guys.

reelgood

scope patch and drink lots of water and electrolytes if you are out in the sun with it or you will not feel well at all

Alto Mare

Mythbusters did a test on seasickness cures, they built a chair that spun at 7 rpm.
They placed wrist straps on Grant, he got sick within 90 seconds.
Then they  gave him ginger pills and he was fine.
They also gave him vitamins: placebo (sugar pill ) and told him it was over-the-counter pharmaceautical remedy.
Grant claimed that it was by far the best.......he didn't get sick.
Maybe mind over matter? :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dave Bentley

Sleep under a gum tree, Guaranteed cure  :o

Travelcalm for me.

Ah, sea sickness, first 4 hours you think you are going to die, the second 4 hours you wish you could.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

Westii

Quote from: wallacewt on January 31, 2013, 09:53:59 PM

I think Bonine is about $5 for a package of 16 tablets. Many people I know believe Bonine works better than Dramamine with less drowsiness. I prefer scopolamine patches myself. I put one on the night before and have never gotten seasick with one on. Just some dry mouth as others have noted.

Marlinmate

Whether it is Bonine or Dramamine.....best advice is to take one the night BEFORE the trip so the ingredients have a chance to get to work.  When you wake the next morning...take another one or 1/2 of one.  Too many people take one the morning of, chased with a cup of coffee...then get out on the water and barf it all up. No coffee and now no medication.

The Scopalomine patch has been fool proof for me. The pill form...SCOPACE....i heard has been taken off the pharmaceutical market and is now only available through a compound pharmacy..where they make it up right there for you.  I have never tried SCOPACE, but know it works for others and can be regulated more than the patch.

Other advice.....don't go out the night before and have the 16oz. porter house with potatoes augratin and blue cheese cream sauce. When done with dinner...go to sleep and get rest. Don't drink your face off and show up to the boat with one hour of sleep, a wicked hangover and no money. Eat a light dinner and an even lighter breakfast.  

Bonine tastes better than Dramamine by the way.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on January 31, 2013, 09:53:59 PM

Sorry about that Wallace.  Maybe Alan can get a good price on Bonine, which is really meclizine.  I bet you can make a deal by contacting a wholesale house and ask for meclizine.  It's been around for years and it is sold over the counter.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.