Hello from East Texas

Started by charliep, February 12, 2013, 04:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliep

Good Morning All,
In the last couple of  years I have gotten addicted to tinkering with fishing reels, mostly Garcias. Now friends and kinfolk are asking me to clean and service their reels. I really enjoy taking an older non working reel and making it sing! Looking forward to learning more from everyone here.
CharlieP

Norcal Pescador

Welcome aboard, CharlieP! If you weren't addicted before, you would have been in short order here. Dr. Tani has the cure! :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Cone

Charlie, welcome to Mr. Tani's asylum for the reely insane. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

Welcome Charlie,

glad to have you.  Make sure that your friends and kinfolk are feeding you for all of your hard work. :)

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Charlie, welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood...

alantani

welcome!  yeah, we all started out innocently like that.  you think, yeah, this might be fun!  just make sure you charge them something.  even beer works!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

charliep

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Alan, the payment for the last 2 reels I completed will be a redfishing trip to south Louisiana!!!
Charlie

alantani

you're lucky.  at the beginning, i was lucky to get a 6 pack of beer!

charliep

I am lucky...this is one of those kinfolk deals. "Clean my reels and I'll take you fishing!!" Nooooo problem! These guys fish a lot, so maybe the trade out will go on for a long time.

triumphrick

Quote from: charliep on February 13, 2013, 10:55:02 PM
I am lucky...this is one of those kinfolk deals. "Clean my reels and I'll take you fishing!!" Nooooo problem! These guys fish a lot, so maybe the trade out will go on for a long time.

Welcome, Charlie..looking forward to your posts....

Since I retired a few years back I needed something to keep me busy...and out of trouble! One of my hobbies was fixing reels...and over the past three years things have gotten so busy that I went ahead and took the next step...forming a LLC and began advertising...

Things are hopping! Lots of reels coming in and much satisfaction in servicing them.

You never know where things may lead to... ;)

alantani

vic is a local reel smith here in the san francisco bay area.  we had a chance to finally meet face to face a few months ago and he was telling me that he was worried about my getting mad for cutting into my business.  i got a good laugh out of that.  the poor guy to take over the repairs of every reel in a 50 mile radius of his home, including my neighborhood, and i would never run out of work.  there is that much demand, if you do good work. 

gone fishin

QuoteCharlie, welcome to Mr. Tani's asylum for the reely insane. Bob

I second Bob's reely clever welcome.

Norm

charliep

I plan to retire in a couple of years and some of us know how fast that can go by! It would be nice if I could work this into a little retirement business. I would like to get some tips and advice from you guys sometime.
Charlie