Which do you prefer on the 113h

Started by Jaanman, February 13, 2013, 09:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fshncrazy

I like composite but sometimes I see decked out versions at bottom drop outrageously low prices on craigslist and other sites.  About 2 months ago I saw a fully accuplated 4/0, including handle for 120.00  a steal of a deal.  Almost went for it just for the parts but had to pass and stick to the plan.  Owning every progear model ever made. LOL

Jaanman

Quote from: fshncrazy on February 15, 2013, 12:13:48 AM
I like composite but sometimes I see decked out versions at bottom drop outrageously low prices on craigslist and other sites.  About 2 months ago I saw a fully accuplated 4/0, including handle for 120.00  a steal of a deal.  Almost went for it just for the parts but had to pass and stick to the plan.  Owning every progear model ever made. LOL
That's why I was asking , I want buy another 113h on Craigslist .....older pre 113h2 rework it and fish . I appreciate the replys and offers .
Thanks
Larry

Alto Mare

Quote from: fshncrazy on February 15, 2013, 12:13:48 AM
Even though they're nice reels, Pro Gear and Newells are just a bad copy of Penn  :-\.  You should have went for it ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fshncrazy

120 I should've but there is always another reel waiting around the corner to be bought.  Sometimes patience gives big rewards.  I recently picked up a fully accuplated 501 w/handle at a jawdropping price.  Although I still use my penns, I dig the progears more.  They remind me of my slosh 20's and 30's.  Moral of the story, Yes I should have bought it but it would be sitting around the garage till i stumble upon it again.  -)  by the way nice reels you have and on another note.   I'm a super fan of tiburon aftermarket products as well.

seaeagle2

I like the "red" sideplates for a "modern" look, I used a Jvariance narrow  one piece aluminum frame.  For a more "old school" look I like the maroon plates, I used Newell narrow cross bars with a stainless bar from that guy on ebay. After 14 years of marriage, my wife keeps it simple, there's a pile of "boat, fishing, and goobie" towels.    
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Alto Mare

Quote from: fshncrazy on February 15, 2013, 01:21:27 AM
120 I should've but there is always another reel waiting around the corner to be bought.  Sometimes patience gives big rewards.  I recently picked up a fully accuplated 501 w/handle at a jawdropping price.  Although I still use my penns, I dig the progears more.  They remind me of my slosh 20's and 30's.  Moral of the story, Yes I should have bought it but it would be sitting around the garage till i stumble upon it again.  -)  by the way nice reels you have and on another note.   I'm a super fan of tiburon aftermarket products as well.
Let me know if you're going to make those 501 accuplates sit in the garage, I could give them some fresh air.
Bryan also likes those pro gears, They must be ok. That guy really knows his reels.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fshncrazy

I'm gonna keep this one for awhile.  Brian for sure is a progear guy.  Every search I've done on this site for progear, he's on it.   Speaking of Jvariance.   I looked into that awhile back as well.  Haven't checked them recently but do they have kits for other popular penn models as well?

Bryan Young

Sorry guys, but I do like my Pro Gear reels, esp. the older ones.  My favorites are the PG255 (same size as a Penn 146 with essentially Penn 506 guts) and PG545 (Penn 2/0 size, maybe smaller, with 4/0 guts and 4:1 gear ratio).  Solid aluminum frame with integrated sideplate.  Solid reel with reliability of Penn's proven mechanics.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: fshncrazy on February 15, 2013, 08:12:57 AM
I'm gonna keep this one for awhile.  Brian for sure is a progear guy.  Every search I've done on this site for progear, he's on it.   Speaking of Jvariance.   I looked into that awhile back as well.  Haven't checked them recently but do they have kits for other popular penn models as well?
I was buying 4 sets at a time from JVariance a few years back, I don't think I have any left... I sold them all.
Jeff is a nice guy to deal with, he always helped me out when I needed an additional part. Unfortunately, the 113H are the only kits he sells, a while back he mentioned that he was going to offer kits for jigmasters, I haven't seen any. He also mentioned that he was going to have the 114H kits, nothing yet :-\.
By the way, since we're on  the JVariance subject, did anyone try to remove the handle side bearing on those?
I tried with everything I had, nothing worked and I ruined a few tools along the way.
I had to find out if it was me or the parts, so I sent the plate to Aaron (reel speed) and told him to amuse me and pull that bearing out.
He was able to do it and he sent the bearing and the undamaged plate back to me.
The note with it said, this is rediculously tight , don't ever send me something like this again ;D.
I did read that there are issues with the handle side bearing working itself lose on some reels, I don't remember which reels.
An hexagon cut out and hexagon outer race on the bearing would make things nice :-\...could slide in lose

I did work on pro ger reels before and also newells, both of those showed way more rust on the inner parts than my penns,
that's one of the reason i was turn off by them,  it could have been a fluke :-\
I'm also not a fan of graphite frames on newells, yes I know penn and others also have those....I have none.
The aluminum star and their fancy handle is a joke on the pro gears...just my opinion fellas ;)

fshncrazy

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 15, 2013, 12:02:38 PM
Sorry guys, but I do like my Pro Gear reels, esp. the older ones.  My favorites are the PG255 (same size as a Penn 146 with essentially Penn 506 guts) and PG545 (Penn 2/0 size, maybe smaller, with 4/0 guts and 4:1 gear ratio).  Solid aluminum frame with integrated sideplate.  Solid reel with reliability of Penn's proven mechanics.
X2 Love the reels, my absolute favorites and most used are my 251's, 545 and 551's.  As for the handle though I put tib-lites on my fishing sets.

Alto Mare

I was trying to get one of those PG255 from ebay, but looks like Bryan is watching them like a hawk....I will never have a chance of getting one :-\

fshncrazy

He's not the only one watching :D  Here's another deal I missed about a month ago.  On Ebay I saw one brand spanking mint condition (gold) for like a 1 day listing price at the time 125.  Next thing its gone before listing ended.  I bet seller got an offer and took it right off ebay.  

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 15, 2013, 07:36:39 PM
I was trying to get one of those PG255 from ebay, but looks like Bryan is watching them like a hawk....I will never have a chance of getting one :-\
Sal,

If you want to take a look at one, I can send you one for inspection.  I'm not using it now, but may in a few months.  Let me know.

I could also let you check out a PG 251 and a PG545 and you can do your comparisions with your similarly sized Penns.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D