carbon fiber

Started by nook55, December 15, 2009, 02:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nook55

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to source carbon fiber as a sheet good? Seems it's pretty easy to modify existing ones so it shouldn't be too difficult to punch them out of a sheet. I'm sure there is a source somewhere, and I'm equally sure Penn would like to keep that source well hidden!

Has anyone found, or have any leads on, bulk carbon-matrix drag material?   ???

kamuwela

Quote from: nook55 on December 15, 2009, 02:43:48 AM
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to source carbon fiber as a sheet good? Seems it's pretty easy to modify existing ones so it shouldn't be too difficult to punch them out of a sheet. I'm sure there is a source somewhere, and I'm equally sure Penn would like to keep that source well hidden!

Has anyone found, or have any leads on, bulk carbon-matrix drag material?   ???

im sure you can buy from china.  be prepared to dish out some dough. i tried to buy sheets of abalone shell paper to make lure heads. i had to purchace 800 sheets minimum at $20 a sheet. guess you know how the story wound up, i passed on that bargin lol

alantani

i've been looking for years.  the stuff is expensive as hell, and a real mess to work with. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

realmedic

i too have been looking for years for this kind of thing so that i could punch and cut my own drag washers. Penn protects this source like they were the secert service  :o

nook55

Yeah, I knew it couldn't be an original idea. But ... I figured this board has international reach, so maybe it is more available outside the US. If it is a bulk order / cost issue, maybe we could leverage a few hundred board members at $10 each. Just seems there aughta be a way.

Well, that's my rant! I'm done. ;)

Dawn

You can buy pieces of carbon fiber sheet from me if it's for reels I don't make washers for.

Dawn
Smoooooth Drag
Dawn

alantani

ok, guys.  there you go!

realmedic

yay Dawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D how much per sheet?

Walter_Lars

Ya beat Me to it  Reelmedic
Inquring minds wants to know Miss dawn

alantani

check out her website for her e-mail address.  this might not be something she would offer to just anyone.  alan

Dawn

Finally got to this, sorry for the delay.

Carbon Fiber sheet material

.020 (.5 mm) or .030 (.76 mm)  6.5" x 5"   $30.00
.040 (1 mm)  6.5" x 5"  $35.00

I can do bigger sheet if necessary, but i thought this would be a reasonable size for most needs.

Material is not hard to cut, even with scissors.  BUT it's really not easy to cut washers out, just FYI.  But if you want to...there you are.

Dawn
Smooooth Drag

Dawn

alantani

at one point, i had these delusions of cutting my own drag washers on a large scale.  after grinding down a few and dealing with the mess, i decided no way!!!!!!!!!!!

spearo776

Hi alan, i know this is an old post but, have you tried a wad punch. I cut my own carbontex washers up to 1 mm thick with a wad punch . I have a kit with szes 5mm - 32mm. Anything bigger i have used carvery scissors. If needed to dress edges i use a fine file and drag the washer not file, as such.

Alto Mare

Hello spearo, I was going to try them myself but when I found out the cost for a set, it was more reasonable to just order the washers. I've been cutting the OD with scissors on my 1mm washers with no problem, I've mentioned it on a previous post, but no one had a comment  on it.  :-\. In most cases the OD on a washer doesn't have to be perfect, but the scissors do a good job. I was going to order a ponch set, the same set they use for teflon washers and give that a shot. I don't see why it wouldn't work, if I place the sheet on a piece of wood and hit it with a nice size hammer it should do it. Hey if it doesn't work I can always use the set for teflon washers ( not for my drag stack) , it's always good to have a set.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

Im with the "NO WAY" group here..

I have had to fabricate a few, real mess & never perfect (that alone drives me nuts) compared to the cost of pre-cut to perfect size IMHO...

Time in a reel goes way off the chart... 

Mess of black dust....

Never (for me any way) are they perfect.. So I spend more time!!!!!   ???

I will do it if "I have to", but much rather buy them ready to go....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!