Charter Special TR2000,upgrade Problem

Started by Irish Wake, February 27, 2013, 08:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irish Wake

First off I would really Appreciate any help on resolving this Problem as these are my baby's of all the reels I have Meany.
I have 4 Charter Special TR 2000LD waned to upgrade the 4 with new carbon fiber drag washer from smooth drag,and replace the preload washer B's (key #44) with shimano tld 20/30 two speed reels bellevilles (part # tt-0040A),,just a note,,Original Drag washer and new carbon drags where the same size 1.30mm, original bellevilles were 1.75mm and the new tld bellevilles were 2.00mm,,I seen in alan Tutorial original bellevilles 2.65mm and new tld bellevilles 2.70mm,,Ok after resembling the 4.,,,10 times anything over 8 lb drag at strike the handle would get hard to turn,the higher the drag the harder it is to turn,also over 8lb at strike I only have free spool if the drag lever handle is on top of the detent button as it come off the detent I lose free spool cleaned all bearing spool used 301,side plate grease,Bearing turn nice and free when servicing,,two hole days working on these,pulling my hair out,,serviced 20 reels this week, Ok you mite ask why not do 1 First then the other 3,,I Guess I got a little to_______ you fill in the Blank.

Bryan Young

First, harder to crank, sound like your pinion bearing is bad.  That should be replaced with a new, greased packed bearing.

I'm not sure if I fully understand your second problem.  I need to think about this for a few as I'm trying to imagine the assembly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Wake

Two of the reels has been in use for 7 years.the other 2 were only used last season.check all the bearing all the spool bearing spun free lubed with 301 including bearing #123,and repacked Bearing #123A with grease,,,if one reels had this problem I would be thinking bad bearing,but 4 with the same problems,Im open for any suggestions

Bryan Young

Sorry, I cannot view the schematics right now. If you apply the dead and the handle becomes difficult to crank, the pinion bearing in the side plate is bad.  It doesn't take much to damage those bearings some they are axial bearings with material forces.

I'm still not clear as to why you loose free spool in the free spool position.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

three things.  first, replace the right main side plate bearing, regardless of how it feels.  second, check the spool to see if the line is slipping on the spool.  third, check the cam to make sure it is not damaged. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

paal

Did you install the C/F washer dry or wet? If wet, did you use a lot of grease?
Sorry for my dumb question, shooting from my hip :)
Paal

Irish Wake

Bryan,Alan,Paal,I appreciate and value your advice,The reel that has one season on it Im thinking the new drag had to seat it self,so I pull the line 10,15 times with 16lb of drag on the reel,and it started working GREAT,,the other 3 not so lucky,so I disassemble all 4 comparing part,look like 3 of the Pinion gears had some wear,,next check right side plate Bearing 123A, turn free till I put a good amount of pressure on it,, not so good then,,called Dawn order all new Bearing,and shimano for new Pinion gears,, Hopefully this will resolve the Problem,,new to greasing the Drags,I have been putting a good amount on front and back then removing leaving a haze surface on the face,is this right,by the way Dawn is super to deal with

paal

I would remove as much grease from the CF washer (and drag plate) as possible, using a clean rag. Star drags tolerate excess grease, because it will get squished out due to the very high pressure that you can achieve without any harm to bearings or other delicate components. On a single disk lever drag using 'normal' (radial) bearings, the force needed to displace the excess grease would probably crush the pinion/left spool bearing.

I think this could be a reason why you experience more binding at less drag; excess grease may prevent the drag plate to get sufficient contact area with the C/F washer,  so more pressure is needed, and you feel this as binding. You testing with simulated "runs" that shows an improvement in the drag backs this theory I think, because with the simulated runs you may have been able to displace some grease. If you have been reeling a lot doing this, with a lot of side load (high preset), the bearings might have taken some punishment, and starting to get rough. That will of course also increase the binding.

Disclaimer: I am not a pro, just a wannabe reel nerd. I trust Alan or one of the other gurus to correct me if I'm mistaken here :D

Irish Wake

Thanks paal,I just left a finger print of grease under the washer,and clean the face leaving a light hazes,,,,once the Bearing and Pinion gear come in I'll get back with how I made out,,

Irish Wake

First off Thanks to Dawn super fast shipping,got my Bearing and 1-T handle to try out today,same for shimano got the Pinion gears,Installed Bearing and Pinion gears in 3 of the 4 Charter Specials now all 4 are working Great,did the upgrade, I have them at 15lb now with great free spool,25lb drag was no problem still with plenty free spool,after trying the one C/S with the T-handle I have to order 3 more man they feel Great,,now I'm going to have to get 8 more T-handle for my Penn 50s,30s Okuma,30s, "Ouch" that 11..
Bryan,Alan,Paal,I really Appreciated your help,,I will be Posting a Picture with the new handle need to down load

Bryan Young

Glad it worked out, and that is what all of us are here for. To help each other.

Irish Wake

Thank's again for all your help,this is my little baby,Charter Speical 2000
//