need new bearings

Started by hafnor, March 06, 2013, 01:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

I am in need of some bearings. A spool bearing for an sx. measuring. ID:4,75mm OD:9,5mm and height: 3,2mm also toasted is the drag plate bearing meausuring: ID:4,7mm OD: 7,9mm height: 3,2mm and a right side plate bearing measuring: ID.6,3mm od: 16,85mm height: 5mm

I also tried to pull out a rotten corroded right side plate bearing from an Avet LX 2-speed but the balls and raceways was way screwed so When I used my bearing puller I pulled out the inner race, cage and balls with the outer race still remaining firmly. There is no way to push the bearing out from the outside so, so far I have let it soaked in a day in wd40, tried freezing the whole side plate and it still won't budge... I need help here! What to do? Anyone have the measurements? I have ID and Height but not OD.

What is the best way to get a hold of these bearings?

Best regards, Thor

Bryan Young

Hi Thor,

The bearings used in Avets are Standard and not metric sizes.  That is the reason you are having problems finding the size.

Regarding the stick bearing, sorry to hear of your troubles.  Those can be difficult even with the whole bearing, and just the outer race makes it even harder.  You may consider heating the metal in the area and spray a lubricant while hot.  It will smoke, but heating, lubricant and cooling, and repeat, may break the corrosion enough to get the bearing out.  Last resort is grinding. 

Alan has been having luck with that freezing stuff from Locktite.  May consider that.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hafnor

Thank you Bryan for the tips. Can I heat with a lighter? anything to look out for? what about the aluminum surrounding the bearing?

hafnor

I sent Avet an email regarding the bearings, hopefully they will help me out. Although I used their fixed email message on their site. problem is they wanted to know what state zip code etc. I live in Norway not Alabama so I just wrote everything under the "comment" field. Do any of you have a personal contact with a nice helpfull guy from Avet? I think that might be alot easier!

Best, Thor :)

Bryan Young

I would not use high, concentrated heat as the aluminum may oxidize.

You could try freezing again though. If you freeze, right when you take the sideplate out of the freezer spray a lubricant around the bearing and repeat the process as the reel heats up. It will work better if you are able to warm the sideplate faster than allowing to warm in air. The aluminum should warm faster than the steel allowing the metal to expand a little so the lubricant can get between the the bearing and the sideplate.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Thor,if the reel is aluminium place it in boiling water. It's surprising how much it will expand and has worked for me on various reels.(Not avets.)
Check out this UK bearing link,they do Imperial and Metric sizes. PM me if I can be of any help re the bearings.

http://www.smbbearings.com/Framesets/Miniature_Metric_Frame.htm

Irish Jigger

Agreed the first two bearings  are Imperial,3/16x3/8x1/8 and 3/16x5/16x1/8.
Not sure about the third one though,looks l Impereial with 1/4"id but the other sizes don't add up.
SMB stock  Japanese s/steel Izo amongst others.

hafnor

I think by the sheer size of those bearings that no matter what brand you get there will be problem. Especially when the bearing aren't packed. I have a local bearing shop here that deliveres ina,ezo, skf etc. but a small bearing like the avets spool bearing runds 50USD! so that is a no go for me!

hafnor

Tried with a lighter btw. did not work.. it won't budge! Will try boiling water now! keep you posted! :)

hafnor

tried boiling water and cooling it with an ice cube. still no results:( What is the next step? drilling? :-\ If so I have to go to some professional. Wont dare to do it myself.... however... I could place a smaller OD bearing inside the outer race...?

Keta

Scott at Avet is helpfull.  The last time I ordered bearings from Avet they were $5.00 ea.  If needed I'll order it and mail it to you.

Make one of these and force the tip under the outer race prying up alternating on each side.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hafnor

Tried the screw trick too! thank you Keta!, but that outside ring wont budge. I think next step will be drilling it out.... How much does a avet lx right side frame run at? over 100USD?

Still no answer from Avet regarding the bearings. How long waiting time is there from Avet to you Keta? Really appreciate you helping out!

Thor.

Keta

I usualy call. 

When you heated the side plate did you chill it or try to remove the bearing hot?  Hot is the best way.  If you try drilling it out the drill might catch and spin it loose but that's the last resourt.  Try soaking it in over night in 50/50 acetone/ATF.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hafnor

I will try that! I cooled it down then tried. Will try it hot a litt later! Thanks Keta:)

paal

Thor, at Clas Ohlsson they sell a cooling spray that is rated to -50 deg C at the nozzle. I think it is a CRC product. Blast the stuck ring with this spray, while trying not to cool the side plate too much. The thermal shock itself will sometimes break the bond created by the corrosion, and the cooling will make it shrink. Use the hook that you made to pry out the ring while it is still freezing cold.

Fixing it for a friend? :)