Penn Spinfisher ss parts

Started by Alto Mare, March 16, 2013, 12:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Send me another and I'll send it back with the next run.  The 12T gears should be nice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Will do Lee. as I told you before, everything I send you is yours.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cone on March 17, 2013, 12:01:16 AM
Sal, No problem. I should learn to keep my yap shut. :D Bob
Bob, you heard the boss, he wants as much help as he can get from everyone. So get back on it ;)
Bob, how hard is it to drill the spool on the 9500 so we can add some more washers on top? I would like to make it octagon if possible, as you know it is now round....just a thought :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Sal, It's wouldn't be a problem to bore the spool round wider or deeper. With a rotary table the hex shape could be done on a mill. I'm limited on my mill tooling. I have never invested in a rotary table. I've run into a few times one would have been nice. Maybe one day I'll get one. The cost of tooling adds up quickly.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

True Lee. I really would like a CNC setup but I have looked at prices.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Alto Mare

Maybe we should stick with this option, same as the 105 on the right

I just remembered that a new 9500 spool costs $70 :-\
This should still work,  not as good as the octagon shape, but definitely better than we have now.
Bob you would probably have to make us some brass bushingsas you made me earlier. It would be nice to keep a bushing on top and one at the bottom.
By the way, the tool in the center makes removing the retaining ring on the drags very easy, I've scratched some spools in the past.
Sorry, I don't remember what's called, I got it at Harbor Freight.
Sal

Cone

Sal, that would be doable without a rotary table / indexing plate. The bushing might have to be shortened.
We also would have to make sure there is enough metal fpr the cuts. Bob

Alto Mare

Bob, as long as we keep the  same OD with the drags, there is enough material there.
The bushings will definitely need to be shortened, the bottom bushing will also need to be popped off, so we can make two new ones with the right length.

Lee, I think I know what happened with angle on those dogs. Here is a shot

The 650 dog is very hard to tell apart from the 750 dog, I believe that is why Penn stamped a notch on the 650 dog.
Please note that the angle on the 650 dog is sharper than the 750. I know that I already sent you some , but I'm going to go ahead and send you some more, we will need those as well. make sure you separate the dogs with the notch, again, those are for the 650.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 16, 2013, 02:23:24 PM
Spinners confuse and scare me  ;D but I should own at least 1.

Here is your reel Lee.

This is my personal reel that I used for many years. A while back I stripped it down and repainted it, I also gave it  5 coats of automotive clear coat.
The reel has just been serviced, I gave you a new spool with the octagon drags, all brass gears, new bail wire and emblems.
With this particular model you're able to use the stock springs from Penn for the dogs. On most later models, you will need to customize the new spring.....trying to keep things simple for you ;). I also installed the transfer lever on this one, this allows you to engage both dogs by moving just the top lever, it will also dis-engages them.
Here is a shot of the dogs.

I couldn't give you ss dogs because you only gave me a couple.
All you need to do is to take a closer look at the position of the springs, remove the dogs and ratchet and replace them with the ss ones. Remove one at a time.
This reel is on me, enjoy it! All I ask is that you take it on a trip and target fish around 100lb with it.
I would load it up with 25lb mono and a 50lb leader, but I leave that up to you.
Along with the reel, I'm sending the 650 dog and the 650 ratchet. get creative wth the ratchets and see how many teeth you can give us, the more the better.
You're going to love using this reel ;).
Sal

Keta

More dogs are waiting to be cut.  Now I'll have to learn how to cast a spinner  ??? 10T gears are cut, I'll draw a 12T one this afternoon and get it to the cutter.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Much easier than  conventionals ;). Be careful you don't get hooked  ;D.
One of these days I need to send one to Alan and see if I can change his mind on these ;D.

Keta

I drew up a 20T gear and it looks like a small circular saw!!!  I think 16T will be max but I'll have a 20T cut to see.

Mark Twain

Cone

Very nice of you Sal. If a 20 tooth ratchet works there should be very little back play. Thanks for the hard work! Bob

Keta

The problem with a 20T is the tab the cutter has to leave so I don't have to dive in the tank to fish the parts out is wider than the tip of the tooth.  The 12T I cut with the wrong ID was close, 16T is probably the most I can do and still look good.  We will see, the 16T and 20T 9500 drawing will be at the cutter Monday morning.

Mark Twain