Penn Spinfisher ss parts

Started by Alto Mare, March 16, 2013, 12:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Lee, earlier I told you that the angle on the dogs needed to be changed, scratch that.
I got mixed up with some older dogs, the new ones are spot on, with a few exceptions.
The hole needs to be .40mm larger, the tail is 4mm too long and the thickness is .20mm heavier.
If you can't get the right material don't worry, I don't mind fine tuning them.
The ratchets are perfect.
Here is a shot of the parts, that ratchet sounds awesome

Justin's dogs and ratchets were a little too thin, he tried his best to find the right thickness material, but couldn't. We were still able to make them work with a washer though .
Your dogs are just a little heavy, 20 strokes on some sandpaper and you're set, very easy for us to do.
I did not bother installing the transfer lever, I don't think  it's necessary.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Thank's to Sal,Lee and Justin for their combined efforts in this very interesting project.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 16, 2013, 12:17:32 AM

The hole needs to be .40mm larger, the tail is 4mm too long and the thickness is .20mm heavier.
If you can't get the right material don't worry, I don't mind fine tuning them.
The ratchets are perfect.

Cone sent me what must have been the older dog.  Hole has been enlarged, tail shortened and changed to "old" dog angle.  I can change "new" dog hole and tail and have both cut.  I have some new old dogs (Cone's) and 12T gears waiting to be cut.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Lee, I hope I sent you the right dog. I actually had two reels apart at that time a 8500 and 9500ss. It wouldn't be the first time I've made a mistake. The hole should be the same for the 7500ss and the 8500ss. The last one wouldn't fit over the shoulder of the screw. I enlarged it with a #4 drill bit (.209in). IIRC
     Thanks for the hard work on these parts for us. If you decide you'd like a reel to test fit parts my offer still stands. I'll pay shipping both ways.    Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

redsetta

Great stuff lads - thanks for sharing.
These were great reels to begin with but, with a few small modifications, they're a whole different beast.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Justin, thanks for the inspiration on this one buddy, we couldn't have done it without you ;).
Lee, looks like things are getting mixed up there, you can check the dogs that I sent you last year to see if you have the right angle.
I'm going to step back from this one and let you and Bob (Cone) carry on.
Less guys giving you suggestions might help on minimizing problems.
Thanks!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Sal, sorry I butted in. If I was Lee you;d be the one I listened to.  ;) I'm outta here. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Alto Mare

No Bob, don't misunderstand my message. I had no idea that you  were sending parts to Lee. I should step back, besides, I have many more projects with Lee and its nice to have someone else help out. As I said on my message, it's a good idea for me to step back, I would only be confusing things.  I actually have no idea how Lee keeps track on those parts of his, I get confused when I have two reels opened at the same time :-\.
I appreciate all that you do around here, don't ever give up buddy.
Sal

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 16, 2013, 02:09:28 PM
I actually have no idea how Lee keeps track on those parts of his,

I don't....Most Penn conventional reel dogs are easy to tell what I have (especialy with the stock dogs Sal gave me for referance), drag washers are not but I'm only cutting them for myself and a few others.  It looks like Newell used the same parts as often as possable, too bad I don't have one or two.

The parts I'm making are a combined project and ALL input is appriciated as well as needed.  If something is wrong I NEED TO KNOW so it can be changed.

Could we be seeing a difference between 7500, 8500 and 9500 dogs?

Spinners confuse and scare me  ;D but I should own at least 1.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bluefish69

Lee

All you have to do is tell me what part you need. Drag Washers are the easyest  3-HT-6-309. If it's the SS drags, I can send a set no problem. 
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 16, 2013, 02:23:24 PM

Could we be seeing a difference between 7500, 8500 and 9500 dogs?

No Lee, the 747,757,750,850,7500,8500 and 9500 all have the same dogs, some for over 35 years.
Some conventionals have the same dogs for over 80 years, that's why Penn is what it is ;).

Cone

Sal, No problem. I should learn to keep my yap shut. :D Bob

Keta

Mine were not the same angle as the one Bob sent when he had the problem.  I have corrected ones being cut.  I bought a small angle finder to cure this problem in the future.

Mark Twain

Cone

Lee, It really wasn't a problem. I adjusted the angle myself. It's working great in both reels. Bob

Alto Mare

Lee, if you still  have one of the original dog that I sent you, that should help with the angle.
I just grabbed a few old stock and new stock dogs to check and the angle it the same on all.

I'm sure you'll get it figured out. ;)
We really need those, especially now that we've been able to increased the drags.
Sal