New try.. Planning an AWESOME halibut reel

Started by Mandelstam, March 29, 2013, 08:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slgriffiths

Mandelstam

I was like "who is this Kurt he's talking to?"

:)

/K

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Bryan Young

I recall you were thinking if using 30# braided line. If that is the case, I would recommend the 112HN. Even with a 113H yellow tail special (113HN), you are looking at holding gobs and gobs of line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 30, 2013, 04:44:07 PM
I recall you were thinking if using 30# braided line. If that is the case, I would recommend the 112HN. Even with a 113H yellow tail special (113HN), you are looking at holding gobs and gobs of line.

I was thinking that I could spool on some mono on the bottom of the spool and finish off with enough braid.

I'm starting to think that a 113H is the way to go, with it being more robust than the 112H.

I'm planning to pair the reel with a Seeker Hercules blank, 7'2", either a 15-30 lbs or a 30-60 lbs. Or at least that is the blanks I'm leaning towards at the moment.

I want to have a good 12-20 lbs setup as well, maybe with a spinner (Slammer or Spinfisher V), and have that setup when not targeting large halibut. And maybe the 112H will be too close in specs if you want to be able to step up from the lighter gear?
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

Dacron makes better backing, if you can't find any I know how to ship stuff to Scandinavia relatively cheep.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

seaeagle2

Dacron makes a good backing because it is bulky and fills up more of the spool. As far as rod length in the Pacific northwest conventional wisdom for halibut rod length is 4 to 6 feet for better leverage and less tiring to jig for hours.
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

surfcaster

I agree[Dacron makes better backing,] But  I only bottom fish & deep sea jig my senators all have dacron is the best backing for Deep sea used to use all dacron till they came up w/better modern braids/spectra.I know it is Old reel That Nobody uses  anymore, but i like my 349h it is slightly modified (thanks,to the guys here & smoothdrag.com) you could haul up an anchor with that reel. It handles norweigan jigs 14 to 24oz 200- 400ft  deep no problem. I had a blue shark on he stole a nice pollack & a $20 jig when he broke my leader& rod. Boy that reel screamed. If i ever get to take that dream trip to norway or alaska thats the reel i'm taking with me. I think The 113h "Tank" would be an awesome for this style of fishing too.Happy Easter& Tight Lines, Rich

Mandelstam

Thanks for the tip on dacron, I have a reel full that I never use.

:)
/Karl

Ron Jones

My best reference would be the 330LDs I've used for fishing in 200 meters of water off of Washington. We have pulled up 180+ halibut with those reels. They have the same spool size as a 113H but are not as strong as a tank. For deep water bottom fishing I really think running a standard width Tank would be preferrable. This will give you the line capacity you need for heavier than 30 pound line. I would like much heavier line like 60-80 pound braid.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Mandelstam

I'm looking at some online auction sites to find a nice 113h to start fiddling with. Mostly quite recent ones with a graphite frame are available. As I live in Sweden the market for old Penns are not as big as in the US, and shipping costs make it quite expensive to buy one from over seas.

One question: will the "vintage" red sideplates fit on a newer model with a graphite frame? I really love the old sideplates with the sailfish and the waves and are thinking of buying a couple of vintage sideplates for my TANK. Just for the good looks.

Keta

Non PRC 113H side plated will fit, 113 and 113H-2 (PRC) will not.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Quote from: Keta on April 02, 2013, 06:43:29 AM
Non PRC 113H side plated will fit, 113 and 113H-2 (PRC) will not.

113 and 113H2 I know, but what does PRC stand for?

Keta

Peoples Republic of China.

Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Mandelstam

I've now found myself a candidate. I posted a WTB ad on a Swedish fishing forum and a couple of days later a guy PM'd me and had a nice 113h for sale for a good price. And it already has the full Tiburon frame. Will receive it this week.

The guy told me that he bought it from a "Penn freak" in the US (someone here maybe? :)) He also said that to his knowledge the reel has the original spool. My first plan was to find an all stock reel and buy a Tiburon narrow kit with spool. But this was to good an offer to refuse. But how about the spool? Is there any benefits to changing it to an aluminum spool? How much weight do you gain? I'm just wondering if it's worth importing a spool with all the hassle and shipping costs involved.

/Karl