New try.. Planning an AWESOME halibut reel

Started by Mandelstam, March 29, 2013, 08:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doradoben

If it already has a Tib frame, it may have a standard width Penn aluminum spool. This may be a good choice for your intended application, depending on the depth of water. It would hold about 100 yards of 30 lb monofiliment line more than the Tib narrow kit.  Just disassemble the reel for complete inspection and determine what modifications may have already been made, if any, so you will know how to procede.

Mandelstam

According to photos the sideplates looks to be a bit older (sailfish+waves). So my thought was that it could be a steel spool. It that's the case, is there a big difference between aluminum and steel weight wise? Or is there another reason one should choose aluminum?
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

doradoben

It would only be a guess, but the chrome spool might be about 6 oz. heavier. I think they are chrome over bronze, not steel. Some of the guys that posted on your deleted thread might have some insight as to the advantages of one over the other for your intended use..

Keta

The chromed brass 349 spool I replaced with an aluminum one was considerably heavier. If you can go with aluminum.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mandelstam

We'll se what the spool looks like when it gets here. And then maybe I'll keep a lookout for a lighter spool.

Thanks!

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Ron Jones

If it's for halibut fishing only you will be fine with the brass spool. Spool weight only comes into play when casting.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Mandelstam

Thanks for the input! The reason I was wondering about the weight was that I'd like to keep the overall weight down on the reel.

I saw Alto Mares post (http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3083.msg55013;topicseen#msg55013) where he compared the weight between a Tank and a stock reel. As he said, 5oz is a lot of weight for a fishing reel. And I'm guessing the spool had something to do with that weight difference. But how much I don't know. And I know that was a narrow frame and spool, so his Tank isn't fully comparable with mine. Guess I'm just curious. :)

Bryan Young

Don't forget to count the weight of the fishing line.  Braid will be a lot heavier than mono by the sure volume of line on the reel to fill the reel up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 08, 2013, 07:26:53 PM
Don't forget to count the weight of the fishing line.  Braid will be a lot heavier than mono by the sure volume of line on the reel to fill the reel up.

Good point.. :/ Guess I really could save some weight by spooling it up with 200lb mono. Which I wont. ;)

That reminds me of something else. A lot of people I talk to is really particulate about balancing their rod and reel so it has perfect balance just about where the reel is mounted. But what happens when you hang a 5oz lure on there and have a lever of 6-7-8 feet? I guess I can see the point in real UL fishing but not with "normal" setups. I'm not saying you should have a totally unbalanced rod+reel but I wouldn't worry about a couple of inches here and there. As soon you have pressure from the lure (or fish) it's not balanced anymore anyway.. Or have I missed something?

Bryan Young

I like to have a balanced rod considering the lure weight and reel I'm using.  Balance is best because when you are fighting the fish, you are only fighting pressure of the fish.

With that said, it is not always possible, and therefore, don't worry about it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

Got the reel today! :) Looks and feel good in my eyes. Haven't opened it up yet because I couldn't find my damn screwdriver! Grrr!!

But it has nice free spool and smells nice of oil and grease. Just the way I like 'em! :)

I paid around $70 for it. Think I made a good deal, with the Tib frame and all.

BMITCH

Karl, looks like a REALLY good deal for $70.00? Looks in great shape. Great starting point with this one. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Best of luck with it.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Mandelstam

Yea I'm pretty!  I thought I was looking at atleast $70 for an ok stock reel and then another $100+ for the tib frame.

Normally I'm pretty lousy at making good deals but sometimes even I will have a stroke of luck.  :D

Mandelstam

Took the reel apart. It has a new upgraded dragstack (5+1) but otherwise everything is stock parts. But in good shape. :)

But man, that spool is heavy. I weighed it to be exactly 300g (10.5 oz). No wonder it has good free spool. When that spool starts moving nothing is going to stop it, hehe :). If I cleaned the bearings and put a few drops of Rocketfuel oil in there that spool would still be spinning since this morning.

basto

That`s a bargain Karl! Looks to be in good condition too. You will have a lot of fun with it. I like that older model a lot.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n