New try.. Planning an AWESOME halibut reel

Started by Mandelstam, March 29, 2013, 08:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

After my first topic on the subject accidentally was deleted by a too trigger happy moderator :D I'll give this a new try. I've done some digging and reading here on the forum since this morning after I got some great tips from you guys.

What I'm after is a reel that can handle the large halibuts in northern Norway (3-400 lbs  :P). And I want to build the reel myself, preferably out of an old US made Penn. It should hold around 3-400 yards of 30 lbs braid.

After a few pointers I started looking at the Tank that Sal, Alto Mare, built out of an 113H. That looked like an awesome reel! I definitely want one of those! But I think a 112H size would be enough for my needs. And maybe even a Tiburon narrow framed one. I started drooling when I saw Tekas build of an 112HN with a narrow Tiburon frame.

Anyway.. I have to have a 112H (or a 113H) before I start upgrading it. So, as I'm a bit of a Penn noob, I have a few questions for you gentlemen.

First of all, is there any important differences between the 112H and the 113H besides line capacity?

When looking for a suitable reel is there something special to look for? I mean in terms of color of the sideplates, etc. And as I'm going to upgrade it with a new frame, spool, gears, dogs, handle and what not what about overall condition?  Does it matter if it looks like s**t? Corroded posts, spool..

And one other thing.. Is it possible to do a Tank upgrade on a left handed Penn SS (were there left handed 112H's)? I prefer to hold the rod in my right hand but it's not something I'd die for.

Greatful for any input!

/Karl

PS
If you have any other suggestions on a Penn model to upgrade for some halibut fishing, please speak up! At this point I'm open to all suggestions as I don't even have a reel to upgrade yet!

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

slgriffiths

Hi Karl,

Much though I love my 112hs, there's no way I'd try to lift a 300lb fish with one, if I had a choice.  Even with all the upgrades available - frames, greased carbon fibre, SS gearsleeves/gears etc., just the size of the gear set and drag stack alone would leave you severely undergunned, I think.   
Go for Sal's 113H tank - at a mimimum, I'd say. May be even 114H?
What kind of drag pressures do you want to put on these fish?  I'd recommend start from there, and then choose accordingly.

Simon

Keta

I hope it wasn't me that made your post go away   >:(

First of all, is there any important differences between the 112H and the 113H besides line capacity?

Gear ratio (112H 4:1, 113h 3.25:1), shaft diameter and drag stack, the 113H is a much more robust reel.  My tank has 4:1 gears but I think for large halibut (over 70lbs)  I'd rather have the stock 3.25:1 gear ratio.

Does it matter what it looks?Corroded posts, spool.

Rings and screws can be expensive to replace and a reel that shows lack of care on the outside might have the same on the inside.

Is it possible to do a Tank upgrade on a left handed Penn SS (were there left handed 112H's)?
Yes you can make a LH Tank but I don't think they made a LH 112H.

For 300-400 pound fish I'd consider the 113H the lightest and would rather use a 349H or 114HN....if they made a 114HNN frame I'd have one.  I've brought several Pacific halibut to the boat over 6' long, we cut fish over loose fish over 50" when I lived in SE Alaska.  I'll use my 112H for inshore halibut but we rarely catch fish over 100 off the Oregon coast, they are here but not common.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

seaeagle2

One advantage of a 113h as some of us can attest to, if you keep your eyes open on ebay you may luck out I got my newll framed yts with 4:1 geats for about 50 bucks because the seller didn't realize it was a narrowed frame but I recognized the shape of the bars when I got and turned the handle 4:1.  
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Bryan Young

Karl, it wasn't a trigger happy moderator, it was a fast flying administrator.  Get it right! ;D

My fingers are just too big sometimes when reading posts on my phone.  Sorry about that.  I'm glad you got the post restarted.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mandelstam

Thanks for your input guys! I guess I was maybe a bit over enthusiastic about the 112H. Sounds like I'll step up to 113 or a 114 size.

As far as drag I guess I'm aiming at somewhere around 20-25? What I've read and heard from people going up there regularly and fish for halibut is that they recommend a 20-30 lbs setup. Some want heavier gear as they want to be able to push the halibut harder for a shorter fight. Most of the bigger halibut goes back and you don't want to tire them too much.

With the 114H, I can see that it has come out in three different versions (posts, half frame and full frame). Is there any difference when it comes to upgrading it with all the goodies? The same question applies to the different versions of the 113H (Posts, clicker or no clicker and half frame).

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Mandelstam

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 29, 2013, 10:31:59 PM
Karl, it wasn't a trigger happy moderator, it was a fast flying administrator.  Get it right! ;D

My fingers are just too big sometimes when reading posts on my phone.  Sorry about that.  I'm glad you got the post restarted.

Bryan

No problem Bryan! This time the topic is a bit more focused toward a specific goal and not just all over the place! Glad you sorted that out! And I know the feeling about big fingers on a small smartphone display...

Keta

With the exception of the no clicker one the side plates are the same.  If they are recomenting 20-30lb  I'd go with a 113H although a 112H can do put out enough drag for 30lb.  My 113HN Tank is light and it does the job.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

slgriffiths

Karl, do you mean 25-30 lbs of drag, or line weight?
If line weight, you'd be limited to 10 lbs drag weight, or less - 25 to 30% of the line weight is the guideline.  112H would do, I guess.
If you mean drag pressure, that's a whole new ball game. 80 - 100 lbs line weight, and 113H (N?) at a minimum.
Check this out.  It explains it well.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Simon

Mandelstam

Quote from: slgriffiths on March 29, 2013, 10:52:49 PM
Karl, do you mean 25-30 lbs of drag, or line weight?
If line weight, you'd be limited to 10 lbs drag weight, or less - 25 to 30% of the line weight is the guideline.  112H would do, I guess.
If you mean drag pressure, that's a whole new ball game. 80 - 100 lbs line weight, and 113H (N?) at a minimum.
Check this out.  It explains it well.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Simon

When I read up on that excellent post you linked to I guess I was talking about line (and rod) weight. What I've heard and read from halibut fishermen (both regular visitors and guides) is a setup with a 20-30 lbs rod, 0,30mm braid (around 40 lbs) and a reel with "a lot of drag". A lot of them uses the Accurate BX400X for example. I didn't find any listing of the drag for that reel in the specs on Accurate's website though.

/Karl

Mandelstam

Just a thought about "balancing" your setup after reading the article linked by Simon a couple of posts back. I get sooo frustrated and confused when rod manufacturers talks about "line weight" when they should be talking about drag. To my understanding the rating of the line isn't an issue as long as it's rated higher than your drag setting. Right? And the drag setting should be set in balance with the fish you are fishing and the rod you are using. So why talk about line weight when you talk about rods? Aarrrgghh!

Keta

Quote from: Mandelstam on March 29, 2013, 11:41:23 PM
Aarrrgghh!

Yup! 
And different manufactures figure it out differently ???.  In Alaska I used 50lb line on a Daiwa 30-50 rod.

Mark Twain

slgriffiths

You got it, Kurt.

All my rods are now labelled with a little printed label with what I've assessed is its max. drag weight by putting a good working curve in the rod, and reading the force needed to do so.  Even made a jig to do it - a spare reel seat with a scale attached, tied to 100lb braid, and then threaded through the rod guides to any fixed object.
That's a bit off topic, I guess, but now you've got the info to select your reel.
Good luck with your halibut fishing!

Simon

Mandelstam

I THINK the 113H will be the right size if I pimp it up. Will keep a look out on ebay for a suitable victim.

Thanks again!

/Karl

Mandelstam

Quote from: slgriffiths on March 30, 2013, 01:52:21 AM
You got it, Kurt.

Who are you calling Kurt, Sam?  ;)

Again, thanks for the input, love you guys!

/KARL