New member & need some reel suggestions please

Started by ThomasPI, April 11, 2013, 12:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasPI

First posting and sure glad I found this site! We're in North Florida and fortunate enough to be able to fish in St. Marks out on the flats where we've typically gone after Redfish & Speckled Trout. This year, we're going to give trolling for Grouper a shot and now searching for a good mid-range reel, fish will typically run in the 20 - 50# size with the majority being 20lbs or very close to it.  I've had a nice set or rods made up and they're in the 20-40# class with a roller tip. More often than not, the wife will be fishing with me. I'm searching for a good conventional reel in the 20# class that must meet the following requirements:  it's got to be a lever drag reel and for the sake of me having LESS head aches, I need to have a level wind reel. A reel with a line counter would also be a nice thing to have but not really mandatory. I KNOW that when the words "fish on" come up and the wife or a guest grabs the pole and goes to reeling, the LAST thing they'll think of is ensuring the line comes back on to the reel evenly. I'll be using a braided line with a topshot of mono but this DOES cause ONE concern, what's the best knot to use that'll pass through the level wind without causing issues? I know that reels with level winds may be more prone to having mechanical issues over time and it's only another think to break but the benefit of KNOWING I'll have far fewer head aches WITH the level wind reel far outweighs the potential mechanical issues.

So far, I've looked at the Daiwa Saltist which has the line counter and level wind. The folks over at Charkbait seem to feel this is "old technology" and seem to like the Penn Fathom Series which is great BUT NO LEVER drag so that's not much of an option.

So with that in mind, I'm open to suggestions.

Keta

Shamano Triton, I have 2 in pieces on my work bench right now and they appearer to be a well built reel.

http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Triton-Lever-Drag-Reels/product/17515/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=17515

The loop to loop conections is better than knots for your mono to Spectra connection.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ThomasPI

Thanks, I've had a LOT of recommendations for those. IF they only had level wind :-\

I just may not have a choice and have to deal with line issues and head aches :-\

Keta

The 2 in my shop are LW, I'll post the model numbers this afternoon so you can look for used ones.

These guys might still have some in stock,
http://www.redsgear.com/p-5715-shimano-tr-triton-levelwind-431-50lb550yds-trn200g.aspx?catargetid=1789543589&"cagpspn=pla"&gclid=COGQ1fncwrYCFe17QgodB0cAiA

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

I found the ones I have in the shop, they are Triton Charter Special LD, I'd recomend the TR1000LD.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/lever_drag/Charter_Special.html

Mark Twain

ThomasPI

Thanks, on the previous post if I can't find those... Those options just may not exist and for a reason I'd imagine. In looking, I'd probably go with the TLD20. They run about $160 and by the time I did Alan's handle upgrade, I'd be in for just over $200. I'm wondering and thinking aloud, would I be better off with the
Shimano TLD 2-Speed Conventional Reel ? I'm not overly sure I'd have much use for the 2 speed reel but at least the option is there to use it if needed. We're fishing in under 50' and even if we put out 100' of line, don't know how beneficial it would be ?

Keta

Mark Twain

ThomasPI

Thanks much, I'll have a  harder look at the specs.  IF I forgo the levelwind feature, I'd still lean towards the Shimano TLD Series, they appear to be time tested.

Bryan Young

How much braided line do you need?  The TLD 20 is a pretty big reel compared to the TR1000LD. The TR1000LD or even the TR2000LD will give you plenty of dead for a 30# set-up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: ThomasPI on April 11, 2013, 01:55:57 PM
Thanks much, I'll have a  harder look at the specs.  IF I forgo the levelwind feature, I'd still lean towards the Shimano TLD Series, they appear to be time tested.
With 30# braid, I'd recommend a level wind especially for the inexperienced. It will cut their fingers up and you good day will turn bad.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

The only "problem I see with the ones I have on my bench is 2 stripped screws but that's a non problem if you know not to over tighten them in a "graphite" reel.  I'll wax the screws and epoxy the holes.

Mark Twain

ThomasPI

Thanks for the info and after reading more, the TLD15 would give me more than enough capacity line wise. Point taken on the braided line and sliced fingers, a bad day and FAST.
Invariably I'd lay day braid and then a top shot of mono. For example with the TLD15 using 65# braid specs, it'll take 530 yards and if I lay down 75% braid OR let's just call it 400 yards, I can easily put down another 125 yards of 25# mono on top of that. I could be wrong but I don't see anything running off 125 yards of mono. Figuring my boat LOA is 20' and with a water depth of 25' to get a deep diving plug down to within a few feet of the bottom I'd be roughly running out say 25 or 30 yards on mono. Even if a 50# grouper took off running for the hole, he'd have to spool off another 75 yards of mono before we hit braid.

Keta

I prefer to fish with top shots from 10' to 100' long. The longer ones for trolling in the wind to keep wind whip from being an issue.  I'm thinking about trading reel repair for one of the Triton LD reels on my bench so I have something on the boat for "less experienced" people.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Oh, and welcome Thomas. Glad you joined. Hope we are able to help.

ThomasPI

Thanks and sure glad I joined up. A tremendous resource!!!!!!!