Penn Long Beach 67 spool overheat and doesnt turn again

Started by sebastian_garcia, April 15, 2013, 06:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastian_garcia

Hi everybody, i was figthing a 80# Pacific Sailfish he was taken long runs and in the last run i began to retrieve line and the reel seems to be hard to retrieve and another short run and the reel made a noise like crack and doesnt spin anymore y put it on free and turn the spool with problems i finish the batlle by hand and release tha sailfish.
When i return home take apart the reel and lokked that the spool has like a metal washer that is unwelded maybe  the heat make the spool expand and lost the original shape.

What do you think, i will be happy to hear any advises

Sebastian Garcia

alantani

the spool expanded under the extreme pressure of your fish.  these reels were never intended to take these kinds of pressures. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sebastian_garcia

Quote from: alantani on April 15, 2013, 07:18:48 PM
the spool expanded under the extreme pressure of your fish.  these reels were never intended to take these kinds of pressures. 

Hi Alan, i know that this reels are not intended for this pressure, i send some messages to you.

Sebastian

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sebastian_garcia

Keta

The mono spread your spool, Dacron or better yet Spectra with 10'-100' mono topshots will keep this from happening.

Hey Bryan, the next time I'm in Santa Roselea, BCS in the summer I'm going to try billfish (striped and sailfish) with a 750SS and Surfmaster 100  ;D

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sebastian_garcia

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 15, 2013, 08:13:35 PM
Wow, that's like taking a 22 to shoot a bear.

Hi Bryan Young, Maybe is like go hunting with a .22cal but no with a normal .22 Rifle, for me is like go Hunting with the 22 that my Grandfather use to go Bear Hunting 50 years ago, do you know the satisfaction that it means, catch a fish with a reel that belongs to your Grandfather is everything.
But you are right, it is a litlle reel

Sebastian

Keta

Replace the spool, fill it with braid and do it again!

Mark Twain

sebastian_garcia

Quote from: Keta on April 15, 2013, 09:12:47 PM
The mono spread your spool, Dacron or better yet Spectra with 10'-100' mono topshots will keep this from happening.

Hey Bryan, the next time I'm in Santa Roselea, BCS in the summer I'm going to try billfish (striped and sailfish) with a 750SS and Surfmaster 100  ;D

The reel was original spooled with Dacron, does that Dacron could be good to fish with it?
What i could do to the spool?

Bryan Young

I'm not sure about braid, but dacron is much more forgiving and top shot it with mono..

I hear ya about catching fish with a reel that has a lot of sentiment and history to it.  I do that to without realizing that I'm taking a bb gun to the battle...but it's not how small, it's where you aim...right?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Keta

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 16, 2013, 08:16:10 AM
Quote from: sebatian_garcia on April 15, 2013, 09:46:46 PM

What i could do to the spool?

Not much. Fit a new one, $22.

I've tried to repair warped with my 10 ton press but only have a 10% success rate, I quit when I found a good used 349 spool and I found a Newell aluminum one.  Get a new spool, aluminum if they made them. 

Scotts has alluminum and chromed spools listed. Aluminum-$33.10. chromed bronze- $22.75.

Here's a used chromed bronze one. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-67-Early-Newell-Baitcast-Fishing-Reel-Repair-Part-Chrome-Line-Spool-29-67-/121094904192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31d19980

Mark Twain

sebastian_garcia

Quote from: Keta on April 16, 2013, 01:31:48 PM

I've tried to repair warped with my 10 ton press but only have a 10% success rate, I quit when I found a good used 349 spool and I found a Newell aluminum one.  Get a new spool, aluminum if they made them.  

Scotts has alluminum and chromed spools listed. Aluminum-$33.10. chromed bronze- $22.75.

Here's a used chromed bronze one.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-67-Early-Newell-Baitcast-Fishing-Reel-Repair-Part-Chrome-Line-Spool-29-67-/121094904192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31d19980

Hi Keta, thanks for the advice, i just made a Bid on the item

sebastian_garcia

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 15, 2013, 08:13:35 PMI hear ya about catching fish with a reel that has a lot of sentiment and history to it.  I do that to without realizing that I'm taking a bb gun to the battle...but it's not how small, it's where you aim...right?

Yes Bryan its were we aim.

Two days later, i came back to the blue water, with my father and we were trolling 3 rods Tld 25 Penn 209 Alan help me to upgrade, and a senator, i saw a Sailfish on the spread and he want the 209 give some drop back and yes, fish on wth that litlle reel i gave the rod to my father and i saw another sailfish and the same history gave him drop back and fish on , my father with penn 209 and i with penn senator,
take like 30 minutes to bring back the sailfish with the 209 and it was a huge sailfish 85# estimated, then we continue trolling and again a Dorado an the 209 small Dorado, then we return to the coast and we were looking for rooster or jack crevalle when the rod with tld25 rrrrrrr put drag on strike fish on and then the 209 fish on but now i had the 209 to fight a 20# jack crevalle my father and i relese bout jacks but what a fight, it was a wonderfull fishing day.
My Grandfathers reel was the longbeach and 209 was my father reel when he was 8 years old