Narrow?

Started by snowgoose200, April 19, 2013, 03:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

day0ne

Quote from: basto on April 25, 2013, 04:26:57 AM
I guess some people just can`t tolerate the clicking of a sprung dog. To me, it`s saying "I`m working"

I can't believe how many posts I've seen all over the internet complaining about clicking AR dogs. Some people are easily bothered I guess. I personnally like the sound.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

I don't mind it if it's not too loud, esp. if I'm jigging.  Trolling, doesn't bother me at all.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

You should hear a 750SS with a 20 tooth ratchet.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2013, 05:51:03 AM
I bet that sounds like a sewing machine!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

raumati01

Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2013, 05:51:03 AM

That would be awesome, my 950ss has a 12 and sounds like a small machine gun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 19, 2013, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 19, 2013, 06:10:40 PM
But...although I like narrow reels, reels that are very tall, like the 49s may wobble due to the weight.  I think there is a balancing act for me regarding width with respect to height.
I believe tall narrow with low speed is the way to go, but manufacturers don't get it :-\
Hey Sal,
I agree entirely. I think the trend these days is for smaller reels. This means high gear ratios to produce the same line retrieval rate.
Unfortunately, it also means low torque and low line capacity.
Another trend is for silent dogs. Some manufacturers have achieved this with a degree of reliability, but some are still employing the tweeser type that have not proven reliable.
I guess some people just can`t tolerate the clicking of a sprung dog. To me, it`s saying "I`m working"
I have just found the basis of my narrow 114h project. I was lucky to find one the same vintage as my 113h and also has the same honey coloured handgrip and those lovely steel gears.

Basto, your statement is spot on, you just forgot to mention that most new reels have to work three to four times harder to get to the same line retrieval as the older tall/narrow's. No wonder they need frequent parts replacement.
Technology moves on, but I'm stuck with these older Penn's and I don't believe I'll be giving them up any time soon.
I've mentioned a couple of times to Penn that we need an aluminum spool and one piece aluminum frame for one o my favorite reel, the Senator 116A, unfortunately they're not interested :(.
I've noticed you purchased a second Senator, don't blame me if you caught the bug ;D.
About the clicking of the dogs, I just don't get it why they would bother most, I personally enjoy them ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

I thought that's why we double dog these Penn's? The noise.lol
luck is the residue of design.

CapeFish

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 25, 2013, 09:23:48 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 19, 2013, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 19, 2013, 06:10:40 PM
But...although I like narrow reels, reels that are very tall, like the 49s may wobble due to the weight.  I think there is a balancing act for me regarding width with respect to height.
I believe tall narrow with low speed is the way to go, but manufacturers don't get it :-\
Hey Sal,
I agree entirely. I think the trend these days is for smaller reels. This means high gear ratios to produce the same line retrieval rate.
Unfortunately, it also means low torque and low line capacity.
Another trend is for silent dogs. Some manufacturers have achieved this with a degree of reliability, but some are still employing the tweeser type that have not proven reliable.
I have just found the basis of my narrow 114h project. I was lucky to find one the same vintage as my 113h and also has the same honey coloured handgrip and those lovely steel gears.

Basto, your statement is spot on, you just forgot to mention that most new reels have to work three to four times harder to get to the same line retrieval as the older tall/narrow's. No wonder they need frequent parts replacement.
Technology moves on, but I'm stuck with these older Penn's and I don't believe I'll be giving them up any time soon.
I've mentioned a couple of times to Penn that we need an aluminum spool and one piece aluminum frame for one o my favorite reel, the Senator 116A, unfortunately they're not interested :(.
I've noticed you purchased a second Senator, don't blame me if you caught the bug ;D.
About the clicking of the dogs, I just don't get it why they would bother most, I personally enjoy them ;).
Sal

Makes a lot of sense for boat fishing, but for shore casting, a lower profile reel is the answer, so to gain on on line capacity, it needs to be wider and the gear ratio must be upped for fast retrieval.

Alto Mare

Good point CapeFish. Sorry, forgot about the surfers ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CapeFish

:) We also like bearings  :)

Newell Nut

I degrease my AR dogs and lightly oil them so that I can hear them loud and clear. I don't fish with my hearing aids on.

Alto Mare

Quote from: CapeFish on April 25, 2013, 02:55:03 PM
CapeFish, there is good and bad in everything. Some like bearings and some like bushings. They both have their place.

About the statement above.
I said sorry I forgot about surfers, but didn't say I agree ;D.
Here in the eastern side, most shak fishing is done with the big Senator, and they wouldn't use anything else....my kind of guys ;)
Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 25, 2013, 04:17:23 PM
I degrease my AR dogs and lightly oil them so that I can hear them loud and clear. I don't fish with my hearing aids on.
;D ;D
You supposed to take it off when you get home ;D.

Ron Jones

As much as I LOVE tall narrow reels, I will freely admit that I do my best casting with a 3/0 reel. I can get my thumb around more of the spool and seem to have more finite control. With a hard cast on a tall spool it always feels like I am trying to catch the spool before an overrun occurs, with the smaller spool I have confidence in the ability to control the spool through the entire cast.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

CapeFish

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 25, 2013, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: CapeFish on April 25, 2013, 02:55:03 PM
CapeFish, there is good and bad in everything. Some like bearings and some like bushings. They both have their place.

About the statement above.
I said sorry I forgot about surfers, but didn't say I agree ;D.
Here in the eastern side, most shak fishing is done with the big Senator, and they wouldn't use anything else....my kind of guys ;)
Sal

Sorry no offence intended with the bearing statement, it was made in good humour.