Narrow?

Started by snowgoose200, April 19, 2013, 03:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: CapeFish on April 26, 2013, 07:16:54 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 25, 2013, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: CapeFish on April 25, 2013, 02:55:03 PM
:) We also like bearings  :)
CapeFish, there is good and bad in everything. Some like bearings and some like bushings. They both have their place.

About the statement above.
I said sorry I forgot about surfers, but didn't say I agree ;D.
Here in the eastern side, most shak fishing is done with the big Senator, and they wouldn't use anything else....my kind of guys ;)
Sal

Sorry no offence intended with the bearing statement, it was made in good humour.
My fault CapeFish, I forgot to place the smiley icon following my statement.
You've always been a gentleman here and I enjoy having you on board.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CapeFish

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 26, 2013, 10:26:05 AM
Quote from: CapeFish on April 26, 2013, 07:16:54 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 25, 2013, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: CapeFish on April 25, 2013, 02:55:03 PM
:) We also like bearings  :)
CapeFish, there is good and bad in everything. Some like bearings and some like bushings. They both have their place.

About the statement above.
I said sorry I forgot about surfers, but didn't say I agree ;D.
Here in the eastern side, most shak fishing is done with the big Senator, and they wouldn't use anything else....my kind of guys ;)
Sal

Sorry no offence intended with the bearing statement, it was made in good humour.
My fault CapeFish, I forgot to place the smiley icon following my statement.
You've always been a gentleman here and I enjoy having you on board.
Sal

I hope so  ;) I sometimes do like to poke fun at you Penniacs though!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2013, 04:28:45 AM
I love the sound of working AR dogs so much I converted my Trinidad's.
me  too!!! i mean the sound of the dogs, music to my ears...  ::)

George4741

Yes, I also much prefer narrow reels for the above mentioned reasons.  AND I think they are more aesthetically appealing.

Quote from: RowdyW on April 19, 2013, 06:59:48 PM
I like the w i d e reels & let the harness take care of the rocking side to side.  ;D

Rudy, I'm sure you would LOVE the 32/0. ;)

Me, I prefer the 14/0.  Same drags, gears, and sideplates, just MUCHO narrower.
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

Mandelstam

Quote from: Mel B on April 26, 2013, 09:29:37 PM
Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2013, 04:28:45 AM
I love the sound of working AR dogs so much I converted my Trinidad's.
me  too!!! i mean the sound of the dogs, music to my ears...  ::)

I've heard of people composing songs and melodies to be played by one hundred Harley Davidsons. Maybe you should compose a song played by one hundred Penns? :)
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

doradoben

Noyb72.. When you cast try thumbing the side of the spool, not the line. You'll get better control by adjusting the amount of pressure applied and no monofiliment burn from the speeding line.. ;)

shellbank99

I use the narrow version of the penn 113h, tiburon topless in the Gulf of Mexico fishery. I have caught everything from red snapper to 300 pound bull sharks on them. I think u have to go with braid the tie on mono or fluorocarbon leader depending on the warryness of your prey.  Mine are totally pimped out with accurate  gears and double steel dog conversion and some cool pro gear handles. I also have a couple of baja specials that are basically an upgraded version of what I put together. The narrow stuff is easier to handle and weighs less and if u set it up with braid u have plenty of line to fish most species. Long days bottom dropping are easier with a reliable American made reel. I like those penn 113h's so much I don't think I could sell them.

Makule

My preference, primarily for shore casting, are narrow reels.  Since we do not use harnesses, the "wobble" factor is important and narrow reels definitely do better in that regard. 

As far as casting control, narrow reels aren't necessarily different from wider reels as much as the diameter of the spool.  A smaller diameter spool turns faster than a larger diameter spool for the same casting weight velocity.  A higher RPM is harder to control for me.  The narrow spool with larger diameter rotates slower and is easier to control.

Narrow width, larger diameter, reels also are less prone to twisting/"torquing" under stress. 
The reason the one-piece frames are preferred is because they withstand this kind of distortion better.

If the reel is designed so that the crank handle pivot point is very close to the bottom of the reel, there is less wobble while cranking.  Unfortunately, there is a limit to how close the handle pivot point can go because the higher the gear ratio (generally speaking) the larger the main gear, and the farther away the handle must be from the circumference of the reel side plate.  To compensate for this, some companies have offset the main gear so that the side plates are not round, but have a section that sticks out to house the larger gear.  This "wobble" factor is the reason you do not see reels that have the crank handle located at the upper part of the side plates.  They are always towards the bottom.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.