Narrow?

Started by snowgoose200, April 19, 2013, 03:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowgoose200

I see several reference here to Narrow reels.
Can someone please explain why you would want one?

Newell Nut

My personal reasoning is less thumbing of the line going back on the spool. Don't need huge capacities of line where I bottom fish. Don't like a wide spool digging into my wrist while fighting a fish. Narrow spools cast really well.
My opinion.

Bucktail

I use narrow reels for tuna jigging.  You don't have to thumb the line nearly as much to get it to lay evenly on the spool as you would with a wide spool.  It makes it easier to concentrate on the actual jigging rather than the line.
Just a jig-a-lo

Keta

A narrow reel will not rock back and forth as bad as a standard or wide reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Ron Jones

A narrow large spool has similar capacity as a wide small reel with more line retrieved per turn and (probably) bigger gears/drags etc.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

But...although I like narrow reels, reels that are very tall, like the 49s may wobble due to the weight.  I think there is a balancing act for me regarding width with respect to height.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Quote from: noyb72 on April 19, 2013, 06:03:29 PM
A narrow large spool has similar capacity as a wide small reel with more line retrieved per turn and (probably) bigger gears/drags etc.
Ron
[This is why I like my Newell 533 NKs. Bigger gear and drag and still holds 250 yds of 40 mono.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 19, 2013, 06:10:40 PM
But...although I like narrow reels, reels that are very tall, like the 49s may wobble due to the weight.  I think there is a balancing act for me regarding width with respect to height.
I believe tall narrow with low speed is the way to go, but manufacturers don't get it :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

I like the w i d e reels & let the harness take care of the rocking side to side.  ;D

raumati01

I prefer narrow reels for jigging for kingfish,  with the speed anywhere between from 4 to 1 to 6 to 1. 4/0 is about as big as I would go for mechanical jigging though, a Baja special makes a great mechanical jigging reel.

basto

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 19, 2013, 06:28:14 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on April 19, 2013, 06:10:40 PM
I believe tall narrow with low speed is the way to go, but manufacturers don't get it :-\
Hey Sal,
I agree entirely. I think the trend these days is for smaller reels. This means high gear ratios to produce the same line retrieval rate.
Unfortunately, it also means low torque and low line capacity.
Another trend is for silent dogs. Some manufacturers have achieved this with a degree of reliability, but some are still employing the tweeser type that have not proven reliable.
I guess some people just can`t tolerate the clicking of a sprung dog. To me, it`s saying "I`m working"
I have just found the basis of my narrow 114h project. I was lucky to find one the same vintage as my 113h and also has the same honey coloured handgrip and those lovely steel gears.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Keta

I love the sound of working AR dogs so much I converted my Trinidad's.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain