avet sx 5.3 mc knocking noise

Started by matt88, April 21, 2013, 07:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt88

hi

im having trouble with one of my avets, its making a knocking noise on retrieve,if i crank the handle for a few turns around 5 it starts knocking and i can feel a vibration through the handle. if i stop cranking for a second then start again it stops for afew revoulutions then starts again. any idea what it could be please. dont think its bearing related, the gears are fine. the drag plate does seem a little lose on the pinion gear could it be this ?

thanks matt

limitdown

Possibly a problem with the Connection Arm and or the Friction Ring
Crack open the reel and check these areas

matt88

thanks for your repley, funny that you mention this as recenty i was into a big fish with a heavy weight to hold bottom and i lost the anti reverse function while fighting it, tore the reel down and found that i bent the connection arm by the dog, so i ust bent it back and thought no more of it, ill order a replacement and see how it goes thank you.

matt88

ive now replaced the connection arm but im still getting the knocking noise and feeling intermittently through the handle any other suggestions please really stuck here.

Bryan Young

Do you get the knocking noise with the sideplate off the frame?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

matt88

not sure will try that, it gets worse the more the drag gets set. will take pics if it will help

Bryan Young

It might be a bad pinion bearing and if the bearing is noisy in free spool as well, you will hear it, especially with the left spool bearing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

matt88

thanks for your help Bryan, im leaning towards a problem withe the drag plate and pinion gear, the plate sits very loose on the gear if i look at it wrong it will fall off, could this cause the knocking. do bearings create a noise like that the last one i changed had more of a constant grrrrr and a rough feeling.

Bryan Young

They can if one or two of the ball bearing is bad.  Spins fine then grrr, then fine, then grrr every once an a while.

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 06, 2013, 07:40:57 PM
They can if one or two of the ball bearing is bad.  Spins fine then grrr, then fine, then grrr every once an a while.

Sounds like my dog.  :D :D :D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

matt88

so today i replaced the pinion bearing and spool bearings ust incase, while it was apart i did not hear it knocking as soon as i put it back togeather it started knocking again, the higher i set the drag the harder it knocks. does not happen in free spool only when in gear.

Bryan Young

Try checking the handle shaft bearings.  There are two of them.

limitdown

If there is no noise when turning the handle in freespool, then it's likely that the spool is hitting something while turning.

When turning the handle in freespool, the drive gear is still engaged with the pinion and the brake plate is still turning.
When the lever is pushed forward, the brake plate engages the carbon drag washer, which in turn spins the spool.

With the small Avets, the spool is "pulled" toward the right sideplate. So it's likely that the spool is hitting something on the right side.

Try this.
Set the lever in free and completely back of the preset. Use your thumb to manually spin the spool.
Put your ear up against the reel and see if the sound is coming from the right side plate, left side of the reel or the spool bearings

Since you had issues with your connection arm previous, it's likely that it's bent out of shape and is hitting the spool. Or maybe the friction ring is out of shape.
It's also possible that the left spool bearing has gone bad as that bearing also takes some axial load.

matt88

ok so today i removed the entire anti reverse assembly, its still the same knocking so its nothing to do with the connection arm or spring. there is noise in free spool also knocks when out of the frame from the right side what else can it be anyone ?

Bryan Young

This will be a hard one without knowing the sound.