New-B with new reels

Started by HollowPoint44, May 14, 2013, 07:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HollowPoint44

Hi All,
I'm returning to fishing after a very long dry spell. I've loaded up on lots of new gear and have been hitting all the forums, trying to learn everything I can.
I have several new reels and have read here and else where that they should be broken down and cleaned/greased/lubed/tweaked, etc. I'm more than a little leary about taking a brand new reel apart. Any advice?

Thank you all for anything you can offer.

Bryan Young

if I were to do the minimum, I'd pull of the side plate,  and spray corrosionX HD all over the inside sideplate and grease the screws.  So it will protect the internal sideplates and frame, and for the screws, if someone has to service the reels for you, they can get it out.

Other than that, maybe get together with someone in your area to help you through it...which is what I do.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Nessie Hunter

If you are Freshwater fishing, you can take your time to open & Service them.
Fresh is not as bad as Saltwater....

Saltwater, get to them before you use them, save yourself from a lot of problems..

There are a zillion Tutorials on this forum, Almost all common reels should be covered or close to it!!

Once you do a couple your confidence will grow exponentially....
We will also be here to help if you need it....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!