Lever vs Star - mechanics wise

Started by Mandelstam, May 19, 2013, 01:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Funny how some sign their full name when things are smooth and only use the first letter when it's a sticky situation ::) ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 20, 2013, 09:34:52 PM
Funny how some sign their full name when things are smooth and only use the first letter when it's a sticky situation ::) ;D ;D
Yeah and some don't sign at all....???  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

floating doc

Great discussion. One of the rookies will chime in here.  :P

As discussed previously, the drag in a star drag is in the main gear, and in the lever drag reels the drag is part of the spool, separate from the gears.

This accounts for one difference not mentioned: a lever drag reel can have a two speed gear set.

Central Florida

UKChris

Now there's a challenge! Two-speeding a star-drag  :D
With all the great innovations here, who's up for it?
No idea how you'd even start.

Btw I have star and lever reels - personally happy with star for casting and smaller stuff but now for the heavy stuff it's all lever drags. Cut-off point is around the 50lb line 6/0 - 9/0 vs a 30W or 50 or 50W. Bigger it is all lever: smaller it's all star.

But then maybe I have too many choices  ;D

Chris

Mandelstam

Quote from: floating doc on May 21, 2013, 07:53:26 PM
Great discussion. One of the rookies will chime in here.  :P

As discussed previously, the drag in a star drag is in the main gear, and in the lever drag reels the drag is part of the spool, separate from the gears.

This accounts for one difference not mentioned: a lever drag reel can have a two speed gear set.

Well, I know ABU has made a few Ambassadeur models with star drag and two speeds. Don't ask me how they solved it though. Don't own one yet. Made a bid on one so we'll see in a few days...  ::)
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Mandelstam

Quote from: saltydog on May 21, 2013, 08:34:25 PM
I want one!!!! :P

I know!! Have found an old Ambassadeur 10000C that looks a bit beat up, but that only means I can spend some quality time with it.

Both the 9000 and 10000 models are automatic two speeds. I've seen a few other, smaller models, as well with two speeds but can't tell you how many models there are with the option.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

basto

I had a 9000c many years ago. Definately a mono reel.  It had a lot of lag on start of retrieve, which I would think is because of the 2 speed mechanism.  I enjoyed using my 7000 more.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Robert Janssen

There have been many 2-speed star drag reels; nothing mechanically impossible about it.

Why there aren't any now, idunno. Nobody feels like doing it anymore. Fashion.

Quote from: mandelstamI went to the nearest store and bought some heavy mono, a couple of hooks and a few small sinkers. Wrapped the line on a soda bottle, bought some small bait fish and went fishing. Had a great time!

Yup. Somehow, that is one of the finer forms of fishing.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Mandelstam

Quote from: Mel B on May 22, 2013, 12:45:11 PM
here's an abu SD 2-speed tutorial;

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=894.0

I've browsed through it, and will read it closely when I have the reel in hand.

I'm bidding on a couple of smaller Ambassadeur 7000's from the seventies as well. Normal star drags, but I did find out when reading up on some ABU history and lettering that ABU has made a lever drag version of the 7000 model - 7000C4/7000LD. Anyone tried it? Should be a perfect size for me when going out codding in the neighborhood.

Robert Janssen

Yes, those were the ones I was referring to in the Ambassadeur 30 thread.

They were made some years later by that little fellow in Taiwan and are mechanically speaking a clone of the ubiquituous drawbar design. With a levelwind; that's cool. Not many LD / LW reels out there. And a classic Ambassadeur look too.

Unfortunately, it also has, for some ungodly reason, a disgusting plastic drag lever.

I had one a while back. Made a nice one-piece frame for it, new drag washer, freespool sleeve... it actually turned out rather nicely and casted very well.

There was a smaller one as well; the 6600LD. An entirely different animal. Made in Sweden i think, but on a different mechanical principle that by reason of design prohibits it from being...anything more than what it is.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Bryan Young

Quote from: Pescachaser on May 20, 2013, 10:17:21 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on May 20, 2013, 09:34:52 PM
Yeah and some don't sign at all....???  Dominick
I don't need to sign...my name is right there :o  :o  :o
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D