WHich Avet do I want? Small fast narrow cheap .....

Started by Joel.B, May 19, 2013, 03:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I want to try a used Avet- something for yo-yo and casting , 30-40#

I like narrow reels, about size of Torium 16 or smaller

WHich models should I be looking at and what is fair prices to pay?   I prefer used reels that are a little banged up already as I have hard time fishing with minty/pretty reels....

Bryan Young

Your only choices are the SX lines. If fishing 30#, the SX is fine. If 40#, the the SX raptor.

You can fine new SXs for $130-$150 and used ones for $100-$150 (color dependent).   The Raptor are like $450 reels, and are made similar to the EX series except in a small package with tons of stopping power.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Normslanding

Bryan, Your priorities of Avet, narrow, 30-40#, and heavy enough drag. I would look at HXJ. And in a single speed you should a find used one. The SX, MX, stock will do approx. 9 # of drag at strike. The JX will do about 12#'s. The HX series will give you a little more. The Raptors will do more but the cost will go up. Also they are in higher demand, and will be harder to find. Good hunting.

SoCalAngler

I'd go with a JX.... wait I do, but I use a JX 6/3 for yoyo and bait down in Baja. Where I fish, say for yellows, it is not unheard of to get picked up by a AJ in the 60 lb range or bigger. Or when fishing for Dorado to get picked up by a pesky Sailfish or Striped Marlin and even sometimes a Blue. A two speed offers me the cranking power for a quick release on the billfish and for large Grouper, AJ's and Pargo. The SX IMO is a 30 lb reel max unless you go with a Raptor. A JX will handle 40 fine and a 2 speed is not needed but for the fishing I do it is sure nice to have.

Edit. The JX and LX get 15 lbs of drag at strike and 20 at full, plenty of drag for 40 lb. I set my JX to 10 lbs at strike and if I need/want more drag I'll just move the lever past past strike.

Joel.B

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 20, 2013, 12:37:06 AM
I'd go with a JX.... wait I do, but I use a JX 6/3 for yoyo and bait down in Baja. Where I fish, say for yellows, it is not unheard of to get picked up by a AJ in the 60 lb range or bigger. Or when fishing for Dorado to get picked up by a pesy Sailfish or Striped Marlin and even sometimes a Blue. A two speed offers me the cranking power for a quick release on the billfish and for large Grouper, AJ's and Pargo. The SX IMO is a 30 lb reel max unless you go with a Raptor. A JX will handle 40 fine and a 2 speed is not needed but for the fishing I do it is sure nice to have.

I am going to Baja (Pacific side) for about 10 days oct-nov.  I only want to take two maybe three set-ups. One light duty caster for Lagoon and surf.  One to yo-yo, cast baits.  Maybe a medium troller but I'd rather not. I want to move light and quick- minimum gear.  Besides I left enough gear down there over the years I can borrow whatever I need if the Big Tuna or Wahoo show up.   I try to avoid the big grouper and BSB, I dont kill them and only catch them by rare accident anymore.   

Bryan Young

Normslanding, those other Avets I don't consider small reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Joel.B on May 20, 2013, 12:53:51 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 20, 2013, 12:37:06 AM
I'd go with a JX.... wait I do, but I use a JX 6/3 for yoyo and bait down in Baja. Where I fish, say for yellows, it is not unheard of to get picked up by a AJ in the 60 lb range or bigger. Or when fishing for Dorado to get picked up by a pesy Sailfish or Striped Marlin and even sometimes a Blue. A two speed offers me the cranking power for a quick release on the billfish and for large Grouper, AJ's and Pargo. The SX IMO is a 30 lb reel max unless you go with a Raptor. A JX will handle 40 fine and a 2 speed is not needed but for the fishing I do it is sure nice to have.

I am going to Baja (Pacific side) for about 10 days oct-nov.  I only want to take two maybe three set-ups. One light duty caster for Lagoon and surf.  One to yo-yo, cast baits.  Maybe a medium troller but I'd rather not. I want to move light and quick- minimum gear.  Besides I left enough gear down there over the years I can borrow whatever I need if the Big Tuna or Wahoo show up.   I try to avoid the big grouper and BSB, I dont kill them and only catch them by rare accident anymore. 

My father lives south of Loreto and fish the area 2-3 times a year. Fishing the yoyo or dropper loop you never know what you will hook there. Been rocked by so many no-see-ums at times it will make your head spin. I use a spinner from the beach and the JX spectra backed with long 40 lb toppers for about 90% of the boat fishing.

tpilk

I current fish an SXJ (300yds of #30), which is a fine balance considering the drag rating. I also have an SX Raptor with 300yds of #50. It also balances nicely depending on your capacity needs (total line, or line -topshot combo). It does well up to about 14-15lbs of fighting drag, then you begin to feel a little resistance on the free spool. I also have a standard SX, which doesn't get used much with the other two in the arsenal.

I do have an MXL Raptor as well, but after the SX's, it feels "big" and the small reels are lots more fun when conditions/species allow (note my qualifier-when conditions/species allow).

If you go with Charkbait, you'll get a spool full of hollow-core for free. The SX Raptor can take well over 300 meters of #50 (w/room for a topshot) and around 300 of the #60 (hollow-core lays flatter, resulting in more capacity.

A couple of after-purchase points....all of my reels are MC. I use it on the MXL, but on the SX family, it's just not needed, as they are so easy to cast (IMO). Consider all your needs - capacity, drag, etc. Had I done that, I probably never would have purchased the standard SX, as the SXJ and the Raptor cover my needs better. I also think I would have gone with the MXJ Raptor over the MXL, once again, based on my specific needs. The narrower "J" spools are great.

Hope that helps