International 30 - looking for new revised pinion gear

Started by Augie3000, May 31, 2013, 04:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augie3000

Hi guys.  I am in the process of servicing an old Penn International 30 that was given to me as a gift.  It has the old style #117-30 drive plate with an asbestos drag washer ring that goes under it.  I want to replace both with the newer dura drag drive plate assemble from Scotts #117DN-30.  On their site, and I also just spoke to a lady at the store, it says you need to replace the pinion gear too because there is a newer revised style that will fit the teeth on the dura drag drive plate.  However, they are out of this part. 

Does anybody here have one of the newer pinion gears they are willing to sell or know how I can get a hold of one??  Another option I think would be to get a drag washer made to the specs of the old one but made out of newer non asbestos! material.  Anybody know how I could get my hands on something like that? 

Any input or suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks guys!
Augie

alantani

ok, this is where the nice lady from smoothdrag comes in and says it's time to make a drag washer for these older penn internationals. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Weren't we just talking about this Alan?  Low and behold. Maybe we should have followed through. Arg.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dawn

Dawn

Augie3000

No, the washer I have is a donut like stand alone piece.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Augie3000 on June 03, 2013, 03:24:23 PM
No, the washer I have is a donut like stand alone piece.

Argh! The asbestos donut. I upgraded my 50V with the 117DN-80 and the performance is much improved. Keep looking and I hope you find the pinion. You might try giving Cal's 2-speed a call and see if they can help. ???
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dawn

Try Cal and maybe Pure Fishing first.  http://www.purefishing.com
If none of that works out, maybe you could adapt something I have.
I don't know if this type of reel comes up that often, to make it worth doing the drag specially for it.

Dawn
Dawn

VW

Here is the list of all Penn warranty centers.  Surely one of them would have it.

www.pennreels.com/service/warranty-centers

turboal

turboal

It would be real nice if Smooth drag would make Carbontex drags for the older Penn Intl.
even if we have to scrape them off and re glue new washers to the drive plates.

VA_YJ

I am also in need of donut (floating) drag washers for Penn 30 reels.  Smoothdrag will make us some if enough people ask!

turboal

Alan, have you talked to Dawn about making these drag washers for the old Penn Intl's yet ?
i am sure there is a market for them with so many of them out there and nothing to really
use that's reasonably priced.

alantani

she knows.  it's a business decision for her, and not an easy one.  a large washer that is triple thjick going to be two to three times the price of the $19 tld 20/25 washer.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dave56

Sure hope someone can work this out, got four vintage 30's off ebay and had no idea there was a problem with replacement drags. Personally, I'll be willing to pay 50 to 60 bucks to get somekind of replacement.