Cabo in late August

Started by Ron Jones, June 11, 2013, 05:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So,
My vacation club just realized they shorted us some time and gave it to us with the caveat that we use it by the end of September. So, I'm going to Cabo in late August. Our resort is 3 miles away from San Jose Del Cabo and 20 miles from Cabo San Lucas. I will of course go fishing daily (10 days).

What to bring?
I have gear sized from 4/0 HLW down although I don't have a rod to fish that reel to it's potential. I am sure I'll do one blue water boat but imagine the skipper will have his own gear? I am much more of a Panga / row boat kind of guy at heart. The resort has skiffs for rent and their is supposed to be good fishing from the beach. Flying MAC so luggage isn't an issue.

Thanks!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Ron Jones

No one can give me advice about Cabo?
OK,
I'll be sure to tell everyone about iot.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Sorry Ron...I have never been...but if you stuff me in an animal crate with food and water (and my passport), I'll gladly join and share my gear...and yet, I still would not know what to bring.

Penn 7500 with 50# or 65# braid

ProGear Wahoo Speical with 80# braid (or a 114H or beefed up 113HLW)
ProGear Albacore Special with 65# braid (or a 113H or a beefed up 112H)
ProGear CS 550 with 50# braid (or a 112H or a beefed up 501)

And different top shots that could be used with each reel using loop to loop.

This is based on my friend that owns a panga down in mexico (somewhere).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

I used to haul all my tackle to Cabo but it just became too much trouble. All I take now are one or two outfits.  The boat will have adequate trolling tackle, but I want my own rig to pitch bait at marlin in the spread. I use an HX Raptor with 80# braid and a 50# top shot. It's also great to toss out for a second fish when a dorado takes one of the jigs. You could use your 113HLW for this if that's what you have. For panga fishing, the same outfit will serve well if there are mahi or marlin in close, but it's nice to have something lighter; I usually take my Accurate 870.

Traveling with rods is a hassle, but Charkbait has some very good three piece travel rods. I've caught several striped marlin on an Okuma travel rod that I bought from Charkbait.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

Thanks AKfish;

I have a Diawa SeaLine 20-SHV that I'm planning on using off pangas etc. My HLW is actually a Newell marlin special, so I'm sure you understand how cool it would be to actually catch a marlin on it. 80/50 was about what I was planning.

I know your going to recomend a 6'-6" 60# Graphfighter to put the 4/0 on, but I'm not certain it will be in the cards by late August. I'll probably use one of the Penn solid fiberglass rods, I'm not sure of which one. I have the other rods I'll bring, probably a total of 4.

Thanks again

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Rent a car and drive to LaPaz for better fishing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

40 and 50lb setups will be the main gear fished with bait. Yellowfin, Wahoo, Dorado, Sail's and Striped Marlin should be around at that time, its a little late but maybe Pargo and Roosters will be there too. I don't know where your staying but you may want to contact Gordo Banks Pangas and see what they have to say, I fished with them a couple of times and would again.

Ron Jones

Gordo Banks have Californian cruisers. I grew up on a 42 foot Californian and for a fisherman that is a sign from God. I just sent an email requesting available dates for a charter and a request for tackle recomendations. Thanks SoCalAngler!!

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

redsetta

QuoteRent a car and drive to LaPaz for better fishing.
x2. It's been a loooong time, but I always used to prefer La Paz to Cabo.
Will look forward to a post-trip report with lots of photos ;) ;D
Best of luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Ron Jones

I'll get to LaPaz eventually. This year it is a 7 hour charter on a 32 foot Californian a few days past the full moon, confirmed. I using the boats trolling gear and bringing my stuff for everything smaller.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Alto Mare

Some might tell you its not a good spot, probably they don't want you there ;D.
Get out there wet some lines and don't worry about statistics.
Looking forward to your report.
Have a great trip!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Joel.B

I'd take one set-up, something to fling Crocs/Spooks/Rapalas from the shore.  Cabo has great fishing from shore for anything from Roosters, to Toro, Pargo, Cabrilla- even Dorado and YT at the right spots.....SNOOK....

Also take a few of the above listed baits, and then if you want to eat some fine fish, some tackle to fish dead-baits for Triggers, Pargo etc ....

I like strong narrow fast reels for this- same for throwing iron from boat - Torium 16 or the likes, Narrow Jigmaster.... 8' rod

also take some swimbaits and various weights of heads, scampis.....

The less gear you take (rods/reels) the less worry and hassle

take some sabiki to catch some baits for your skiff if you do rent one - I would rent one to fish the reefs.....

edit:  I always carry mask and snorkel with me- so when I hook my spendy or hard2get lures on shallow water I can dive in a get them.

Rapalas and Crocs will cost you dearly in Mexico- swimbaits not available.

edit #2: Some light spinning/casting gear  for the Sierra and Machete (ladyfish) is oretty danged fun too...

SoCalAngler

Bring lures down has never been a problem for me as of yet, but bringing them back can get them taken away. I have gear in Loreto so I don't bring rods down with me and I take just one carry on bag. Comming back they don't want any lures, even smaller types on carry on bags, so if your going to bring them back makes sure to put them in your checked luggage. Reels with line on then has not been a issue in my carry on.

Ron Jones

Great!

I'm taking a bunch of people with some checked luggage so I'm sure I'll have plenty of room.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bryan Young

I would take some Mark White, Out-Bluff and Da Kine lures.  They'll be killer for roostertails.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D