Cabo in late August

Started by Ron Jones, June 11, 2013, 05:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I would love to take some Mark White lures, but I can take this trip or buy his lures!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Nessie Hunter

San Jose Del Cabo..   10 days!!   Super awesome!!!

I can recommend this outfit - they are the best in my opinion..
http://www.pinospangas.com/

I also do all their reel work & upgrades.
All top notch gear..

Tackle Provided:
All rods built by Dans' Custom Rods 626-665-2695 and all reels upgraded/maintained by Frank Catalano Reel Service 760-900-9827 The boats have been outfitted with my personal gear that is very well maintained.

One of the partners is a good friend (Othan = "O")..
They have all the gear you will need to...

Give them a shout if you have any open days to fish...
Super great for any info you may need also.  
Capt Pino lives there.
My buddy is there, more often then here!!!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

doradoben

I've been to the East Cape a half dozen times in August. It's about 40 miles north San Jose del Cabo. During this period there are lots of striped marlin, sailfish, large dorado, and school tuna offshore. Some years there are blue marlin & wahoo. Inman Bank, Big & Small Gordo Banks are hot spots near SJD that can be fished from a panga. Rooster fish are great fun on lighter tackle inshore.
Reels with line and lures may be a problem as carry on luggage. I've not had problems with lures or reels as checked luggage,  so be sure to check with your airline and booking agent.
It's hot there in August, but I'm sure you already knew. We will be looking forward to your fish report. Good luck..

Dominick

Noyb72:  I missed this thread as I was down in SJDC.  The fishing was slow because the water was too cold.  See http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7520.0.  You are fishing in a really good area and at a really good time.  There is a lot to know about the area and all the advice you were given (except for La Paz) is good advice.  Call me 650-347-5400 (office) PST.  La Paz is a nice city but the fishing in the lower Sea of Cortez and the confluence of the Pacific Ocean beats La Paz and Las Arenas. Let's talk it's easier than typing especially during the Giants-Dodgers game.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Thanks Dom!!
I'll hit you up tomorrow.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keith K

Joel has it covered.  Lures and reels more than rods.  You can put your reels on the panga's rods if you wish.  That 1 rod for shore casting would be cool.  Bring drinking water...lots of it.  August is brutally hot in southern Baja.

Quote from: Joel.B on June 12, 2013, 06:00:21 PM
I'd take one set-up, something to fling Crocs/Spooks/Rapalas from the shore.  Cabo has great fishing from shore for anything from Roosters, to Toro, Pargo, Cabrilla- even Dorado and YT at the right spots.....SNOOK....

Also take a few of the above listed baits, and then if you want to eat some fine fish, some tackle to fish dead-baits for Triggers, Pargo etc ....

I like strong narrow fast reels for this- same for throwing iron from boat - Torium 16 or the likes, Narrow Jigmaster.... 8' rod

also take some swimbaits and various weights of heads, scampis.....

The less gear you take (rods/reels) the less worry and hassle

take some sabiki to catch some baits for your skiff if you do rent one - I would rent one to fish the reefs.....

edit:  I always carry mask and snorkel with me- so when I hook my spendy or hard2get lures on shallow water I can dive in a get them.

Rapalas and Crocs will cost you dearly in Mexico- swimbaits not available.

edit #2: Some light spinning/casting gear  for the Sierra and Machete (ladyfish) is oretty danged fun too...

Dominick

Keith K is right on.  Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate.  4 to 6 bottles of water per person.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

I do appreciate everyone's input and am taking it all in. I had a great time with Dom on the phone today and think I'll have all the intel I'll need for the trip.

Thank you all
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bryan Young

You have to pack drinking water when you go down there?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I'm a SO Cal boy who grew up in TJ, I've had good water and bad water. For my wife and kids, we'll bring water.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Joel.B

Quote from: noyb72 on June 28, 2013, 08:53:45 AM
I'm a SO Cal boy who grew up in TJ, I've had good water and bad water. For my wife and kids, we'll bring water.

Ron

You can buy it by the case at Costco in SJDC

also great prices on Tequila 

Ron Jones

Cool Joel!
Good to know. We keep Costco in business anyway, so it's great that there is one down there.

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

TomT

Things have really changed in Baja in the last 20 years.  There is purified drinking water in almost every store.  For those that don't trust the water, the Mexican beers are great.   ;D
Tom