Looking for some help: Need a photo of an SX 5.3

Started by Bucktail, June 13, 2013, 10:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

Fished with another friend today who just happened to have 2 Avet SX reels.  Man!  Those things are quiet! ;D  Before I left the dock I snagged one for research. ;)

So, after I open it, I'm either going to figure out what was making the noise and be able to fix my other friend's reel, or I'll have two reels that buzz! :D
Just a jig-a-lo

SoCalAngler

Mandelstam

You sure the mute button is pressed in?
;D

Can't wait to hear (!) what you find out!

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Bucktail

I opened my friend's reel and found one difference between the two.  His has a drive shaft gear washer (part # 28A) which the schematic lists as "optional".  http://www.avetreels.net/uploads/SX_5.3.pdf

Even so, I took that washer and put it in the camo reel to see if it would cure the problem.  It didn't.

Next, I swapped pinions.  (See video).

In the video you can see:

1.  The camo reel making noise
2.  The orange reel is almost silent
3.  I take the pinion out of the camo reel and put it in the orange reel.  Now the orange reel makes noise.
4.  I put the original pinion back in, and it's silent again
5.  I take the pinion out of the orange reel and put it in the camo reel.  The camo reel still makes noise.

Any more ideas???

Just a jig-a-lo

SoCalAngler

I only have one more thing to offer and you most likely don't want to hear it. Send it to Avet and let them sort it out, I'm sure they will make it right.

Bucktail

With all the experience, knowledge and expertise on this site I'm surprised we can't figure this out. :-\
Just a jig-a-lo

Jon_Kol

No visible difference between the two pinions - the one from the camo and the one from the orange?

First thing that comes to mind is a slight dent or bend in one of the fine metal teeth on the pinion, but you've probably looked at it from all angles already.

Interesting case - I guess there's no visible difference in the thickness of the pinion; that it's slightly too big/too small to fit perfectly against the other components and therefore is making the sound?

Note that this is just me thinking out loud..

JGB

Read all the post up to here. I just had one that had a distinct 'bzzzz' sound while the spool turned. turned out it was on the left side plate.
The plastic click bushing was worn or deformed slightly (it has little slots for the detent fingers). tried beding slightly - no good. Ah the remedy was simple - turn the bushing 180 degrees so a unworn  detent held the clicker up when off ( instead of part way up). It was quite baffling taking the reel apart at least 4 time before it came to me ( pushing the click button while cranking eliminated the noise.

There is also a second source of noise and that is also in the left side plate. The spool shaft can knock if there is not a stiff grease in the side plate spool shaft slot. This is a common issue that kind of sounds and feels like a gear problem. Had to call Avet on this - replaced the shaft and it helped but the grease fixed it.
Jim N.

Fish-aholic

Any updates, Bucktail, to your issue after Jim's suggestion?

I had a similar scenario to yours with one reel. I never did put my finger on the root cause of the increased gearing audio being heard. At the time, I wished I had an inventory of Avet spares to hand.  :-\   

Bucktail

No.  I haven't had the chance to put it together again.  Probably this week.

I was thinking maybe I need a new main gear.   :-\  Hopefully those other suggestions will pan out.
Just a jig-a-lo

swordfishsteve

Hi Bucktail
Swordfishsteve here from NZ, I do a lot of work on these Avets and sounds to me like you have a gear mesh issue, where the Pinion and Main gears are not meshing perfectly either due to wear or out of alignment, so I would recommend replacing both gears and lubing with Yamaha Lube or similar, possibly caused by original bearings worn causing gear misalignment, once either gear is slightly worn or damaged then noise will develop, good luck Swordfishsteve

Bucktail

Quote from: swordfishsteve on June 22, 2013, 10:52:32 PM
Hi Bucktail
Swordfishsteve here from NZ, I do a lot of work on these Avets and sounds to me like you have a gear mesh issue, where the Pinion and Main gears are not meshing perfectly either due to wear or out of alignment, so I would recommend replacing both gears and lubing with Yamaha Lube or similar, possibly caused by original bearings worn causing gear misalignment, once either gear is slightly worn or damaged then noise will develop, good luck Swordfishsteve

OK.  The pinion is new, so I can just order a main gear?  Or will the pinion be messed up just by spinning the handle to test it out?  I haven't fished this reel since replacing the pinion.
Just a jig-a-lo

jonathan.han

Check to see if the clicker is quiet when it is engaged. If so, you may be experiencing a worn plastic clicker retainer. I fish my rods in the rod holders in gear with the clickers on when fishing for white seabass. When I am hooked up on multiples, I am usually too busy to get to my reels to turn off the clickers all the time. Plus, I'm always clicking it on and off. Just another downside to Avet's reels. Damn. I like the price and performance for what I use them for, but it's a an annoying drawback.

If you undo the clip for the clicker assembly after unattaching the two springs hooked to it, you'll see the black plastic piece with a "figure-8" cutout. The two points will wear out when you engage and disengage the clicker constantly. Alan pointed it out to me since my clicker was very quiet to the point where I could not even hear it when I was on the water with any amount of wind. Try replacing that piece. If allowed to wear out even more, it would probably fail to hold the clicker far enough away from the clicker ratchet and cause a light buzzing noise. I have come across a few with this problem. I'd check this before replacing expensive gears and what not.
raw instinct

Drisse

I have an Avet SX 5.3 with the same sound. Replaced the pinionbearing without any change. Ordered a new driveshaft gear and piniongear, but still the same sound. After that I changed every bearing one by one, but still the same annoying sound. So now I'm out of ideas and patience :)

How did it end up with your reel Bucktail ?

Any more ideas to get rid of this sound ?

mike1010

I have a self-serviced SX 5.3 with the same behavior.  I don't worry about it, because I used to have an MXL that came back from Avet service sounding the same.