To Carp or Not to Carp???

Started by Bill B, June 21, 2013, 01:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Puts hair on your chest Mike ;)

Bob, you mentioned Hogs head I love that, especially nice and crispy. My father used to eat the eyes ::), he was as tough as nails.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

If the hair was on my head I would like it better
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bill B

Just got back from the creek.....Carp=1...Bill=0....even the Catfish won....guess that means the odds are getting better in my favor...will give it heck tomorrow in the am ;D  Carp=2...Bill=0   odds getting better....sooner or later I got to catch one ;D
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Nessie Hunter

I grew up in Omaha, NB..
It was a treat to go to a place called Tess's.
They served Carp and it was very good..
Lot of small bones, every bite you had to chew carefully and pick the bones out as you ate.
But it was very good...
I was to young to know how it was prepared etc. But was not deep fried..
Maybe pan or grill fried?????   

No clue what kind of carp either...
They did have a large aquarium with carp swimming in it.
Im sure that is why I thought it was so neat of a treat to eat there!!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

broschro

My boy loves to catch them. But we don't eat them

Aiala

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 21, 2013, 11:46:48 PM
My family has always eaten Beef Tongue. It's Kosher. I ate a triple decker sandwich in a Kosher Deli 3 weeks ago -- Corned Beef -- Pastrami -- Beef Tongue / Russian Dressing / Cole Slaw Mike

Any part of the beef is kosher, as long as the ritual slaughtering is observed.

I'm totally down with corned beef and pastrami (YUM!!) but the thought --and especially the sight-- of tongue gives me the willies. 

As for carp, I've eaten it in gefilte fish, but prefer the whitefish & pike variety. In fact, I'm having some home-made tonight for Rosh Hashana!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

steelfish

Carp are good to eat but not my favorite.

All That chat about food made me felt like a weirdo.

I really like cow tongue, cow Guts, cow whole head you cut the cheeks, líps, tongue, even eyes and make the best birria (kind of BBQ) tacos.
The Baja Guy

RowdyW

After reading that I think I will skip supper. :-[

steelfish

Its really not That bad, you would neveras know, only if someone tell you

first You see this

Few hours later you will see this

Few minutes later you will eat this

Sorry for hijack the thread.. I say go for the Carp and search for Carp recepies on the web
The Baja Guy

Steve-O

Quote from: broschro on September 13, 2015, 08:58:57 PM
My boy loves to catch them. But we don't eat them

The one pictured is a White Amur or Grass carp...which is Not a carp at all but a member of the minnow family...albeit on steroids. Their meat is white and flaky when cooked and reputedly quite good tasting.

The common carp is full of Y bones...not eaten one yet but catch them as my primary target species.

RowdyW

Quote from: steelfish on September 14, 2015, 12:57:03 AM
Its really not That bad, you would neveras know, only if someone tell you

first You see this

Few hours later you will see this

Few minutes later you will eat this

Sorry for hijack the thread.. I say go for the Carp and search for Carp recepies on the web
Now I'll skip breakfast too. :-[

bluefish69

Quote from: Aiala on September 13, 2015, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: bluefish69 on June 21, 2013, 11:46:48 PM
My family has always eaten Beef Tongue. It's Kosher. I ate a triple decker sandwich in a Kosher Deli 3 weeks ago -- Corned Beef -- Pastrami -- Beef Tongue / Russian Dressing / Cole Slaw Mike

Any part of the beef is kosher, as long as the ritual slaughtering is observed.

I'm totally down with corned beef and pastrami (YUM!!) but the thought --and especially the sight-- of tongue gives me the willies. 

As for carp, I've eaten it in gefilte fish, but prefer the whitefish & pike variety. In fact, I'm having some home-made tonight for Rosh Hashana!   :)

~A~

I went back to Mill Basin Kosher Deli for my Birthday dinner last night. There was 6 of us. I had the same triple decker sandwich. They charge extra for Tongue on a sandwich

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

If you haven't tried cabeza tacos you don't know what you are missing.  Also Birria stew.  All good stuff.  We Italians eat capozzelli (roasted sheep head) it is quite good when properly seasoned.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on September 14, 2015, 06:05:32 PM
If you haven't tried cabeza tacos you don't know what you are missing.  Also Birria stew.  All good stuff.  We Italians eat capozzelli (roasted sheep head) it is quite good when properly seasoned.  Dominick

Thanks Dominik, now I want Birria for breakfast..

that capozzelli plate sounds like an another normal plate over here too, normally sheep head follow the same luck of the cow head, served on tacos or as Birria soup/stew.. I know this will not surprise any of you, but you can made tacos of everything  ;D
The Baja Guy

Dominick

I had a Mexican friend who used to say "my mother makes tacos out of everything.  Don't stand still too long or my mother will make a taco out of you."  Then he would laugh uproariously.  :D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.