To Carp or Not to Carp???

Started by Bill B, June 21, 2013, 01:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

day0ne

I love tongue and a few other things mentioned, also barbacoa (cheek meat). One thing that cracks me up is when I hear the phrase "authentic Mexican Food". What is that? Mexico is a huge country divided by two mountain ranges, and I don't think they have been exchanging recipes over the mountains. What is authentic on the Texas side may be unheard of on the west coast. People tend to eat what is available, so on the west coast, a lot of fish. In Chihuahua, Coahuila or Nuevo Leon, not so much. In and around Monterey, there is a heavy French influence with lots of sauces etc. It is sort of like saying "authentic American food". What exactly is that?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Steve-O on February 19, 2016, 04:21:03 PM
Turd Shark?......Owww that hurts.....funny as all get out....but still....this is my favorite freshwater gamefish.

Heard them called the Golden Bonefish and Bugle Lips but not this.

This is not how I feel about them just grandpa having grown up fishing for trout, salmon and steelhead.  Did not mean to dis your target fish!  I know in England it is huge!  Fish is fish as long as it fight on the end of your line!

Andy
><)))">

newport

Back in the day, much like swans, carp were considered food only for the British royalty. Not sure about carp, but even today swans are still not permitted to be eaten by the common English citizens. My knowledge is kind of rusty, though, so don't take my word for it.

Steve-O

This is not how I feel about them just grandpa having grown up fishing for trout, salmon and steelhead.  Did not mean to dis your target fish!  I know in England it is huge!  Fish is fish as long as it fight on the end of your line!

Andy

No feelings hurt.... my remark was tongue in cheek..... I think Turd Shark is hilarious and an appropriate nick name.....and I should have specified this is my favorite freshwater TRASH fish.

I fish Alaska  salt and fresh water every year and really enjoy Silver Salmon angling when they come up the rivers.

Here in Utah the Carp is the biggest species in town. The trout are mostly stockers that wouldn't fit a hot dog bun. A 20-24 inch trout is a trophy. for me? more like a 20-24 # carp is the trophy.

My freezer is stocked with salmon, halibut and rock fish. The Utah waters are full of carp and everyone hates them.

Igor Peric

Carp is fantastic gamefish...Also appreciated on the table, smoked and marinated ranks as a specialty in many parts of Europe